SR20 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
SE. Period.
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
OOOOOOOOKKKKK!!!!! YES! This is allll goood. Idle'd it to about warm, went for a drive around the block, and then changed the timing (from about 15 or so to 19). Went for a little longer drive, and it's very nice. Much more rev-happy, nimble, and lighter clutch than my dad's heavy suby, and also I noticed how freaking high the shift knob is.
The PCV hose was undone (derr..derr...) and plugging it back up made things run a little smoother, too.

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A MASSIVE THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE

eric96ser - you've been there like every step of the way, and have given me terrifically explicit and sound advice.

Josh Foster (Fosters) - I've spent several long phone conversations with you explaining the problems I faced and discussing a plan of action. It was also really generous of you to offer your physical support, but thankfully I don't need it. I do, however, look forward to seeing you, whether it's at a junkyard or a meetup or whatever.

XxToKeSxX - You've provided great help through discussion both on the forum and on AIM. Learning about your own cam and engine swaps was very helpful. You were there a lot of the late nights I was trying to work on the car. You also pointed out the 6P thing really applies to cars. Thanks a lot.

evilsr20degg - Wow, I originally typed you in, sorry. You really provided some great insight. Had the current setup not worked out, your plan would've been the next step. It was great talking to you on AIM and reading up on your posts. Thanks a lot man.

Joe/Black98SeR - I appreciate your offer for coming to help wrench. I hope to see you soon.

BBYE V8 - I know your schedule was packed for the weekend, but you still made the offer to help. Thanks a lot. I would like to see you soon.

chriscar - Thanks for the direction you gave and knowledge imparted.

Serban - I would also like to thank you for pointing things out.

johnbrooks302 - Thanks for discussing the problem on AIM, and other stuff too.

Fast91SER (aim) - I would also like to thank you for talking through my situation on AIM.

slamed150 - Thank you for discussing the problem both on AIM and in the thread.

FastNX - You brought a different perspective and some good knowledge to the thread that otherwise would've been overlooked. Thanks.

Nismo1182, Gui57do (aim) although it was short, you gave me some good advice on AIM, thanks.

Chim mike - thanks for discussing on AIM and in the thread.

Oh, and Andreas Miko, thanks again. I would also like to thank the motorcycle mechanic that I work with, because he lent me some tools that I wasn't planning on needing. For future reference, you will need 10 and 12mm sockets that don't break, and if you can get them in a deep size, then that's good. Also, you need a shallow (not deep) 24mm socket. Ratcheting, bendable wrenches don't hurt either. If there's anyone I forgot, I'm sorry, but everyone has been really helpful (unless they were pointing out how ridiculously dumb I was, which kept me grounded I guess, so that helped too). Thank you sr20forum!
I also look forward to seeing b13magoo soon, too.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Wow...

Holy Crap... well there's some good news... damn. :biggthump

Not out of the water yet...

Some last minute buzzer beaters
-If you can, please change your oil after a few miles if you haven't already. Just in case you possibly have some floaty stuff around in there...
-After another few hundred, maybe check, and change it again... I know most people would say you don't have to do this with used cams... but I don't know about you, but it would definitely make me feel better.
-Maybe bring down your timing a little bit? I know your running 93, but I don't know... its up to you.

I just knocked on wood... so no jinx's from me homie :)... On that note, I'm not going to bring your karma down by saying congrats yet, just glad to see that you attained some knowledge and now have a better perspective on jumping into things... this will def pass on when you decide to do some other stuff.

Peace,

·
SE. Period.
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Yeah, I plan to drive maybe 20 or so miles, I dunno... regular driving, nothing over 3500rpm, no full throttle. What I'm gonna do is change the oil on sunday. Then I should be good. Another oil change after 200-300 or so sounds good. I'm about to have to fill up on gas, so that would be a good gauge of it. I might pop the VC and paint it up on sunday, unless I'm working. I'll get around to that at some point.
I'm gonna stick with 19*. I like it. Other guys swear by it. You should try it, hehe. I've even heard the engine likes running with higher advance and octane.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
Sigh... I do have 93 in my tank...

I'm at 17, I'll go 17.5* just to celebrate. hehe...

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
glad you got it done.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
If the cam is used, don't worry about break in. Let it rip. I put mine in on the dyno. That was the best drive home with my new high port cam. :)

·
slamed150
1,380 Posts
lol holy page 10. someone add this to the books.

·
Registered
829 Posts
this would be a great thread for the Archives after a bit of a clean-up.

TONS of information, and good diagrams and pics!

Glad to see it all worked out for you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
frustrated

OK, I know this is going to open some fresh wounds, but I just installed the JWT S3 cams last weekend. I followed their directions to a T - the chain was zip-tied to the sprockets until the sprockets were torqued down on the new cams. Yet for some reason it idles like crap and will only idle at all if I rotate the distributor almost all the way clockwise (so it looks just like the "Wrong" picture in the JWT instructions). The idle is so bad that I can't unplug the TPS to set the timing. I have already double-checked the cam timing and it is dead on.

JWT says my cam timing must be off, but how is that possible if the chain was zip-tied, and everything still lines up? What else could cause this? I"m considering putting the stock cams back in just to verify that something else didn't break.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
32 Posts
If anyone is near Cincinnati, you can come take a look at my cam timing. I don't have any idea what to try next at this point.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I thought you also had to use a wood block down the timing case to keep the cahin propped on the crank sprocket too. Maybe I'm wrong its been awhile since I did cams.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I made the chain block described in the JWT instructions and used that to keep the tensioner in position during the swap.

More ideas?

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
did you disconnect the battery for the cam install? If not there has been an abrubt change, and the ECU may not have been reset.

Also, I'm in Cincinnati... I don't know what I could do to help... You can't check your timing unless your in timing mode... If you can disconnect your battery tonight and don't plug it in until tomorrow afternoon.

Not sure if that will do anything but its free, so its worth a try.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Take pictures of the cam gears at TDC and post them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Okay I didnt take the time to read after the 2nd page but was it the fact that if you follow the illustration he had on the 2nd page but i had the same problem but mine turned over but I had the clicking but it was the valves opening and closing and maybe I was bending them somewhat cause it started to get bad cold start after that but it was a while after breakin...anyway the illustration has R.H. and L.H. but they are transversed like if you saw it in the mirror so L.H. on the pic was really R.H. front front of engine and vice versa.....that kept my car @ my job for like a week...and it sucked but it was my first install on my nissan and first mod to a nissan so I didnt know. But at any rate don't feel bad.

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
10 page Cam Thread owns you... lol...

at least you figured it out.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Those pictures look fine to me. Do you have the car in timing mode, before trying to check the timing?

·
3 NX2000's
720 Posts
This thread needs to be stickied!
It just solved my issues with my '93 Egg. It wouldn't rev over 6 grand and had terrible power. I just double checked the cam timing with the help of this thread and found out that both of my cams were off by a link or maybe 2....
Eric, once again, you rock!

181 - 200 of 218 Posts