SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SE-R enthusiast
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Executed a new cam install over the weekend. Went through the process to remove the timing chain tensioner. What a pain in the ass...
Found that there were 3 gaskets on mine. A rubber O-ring and metal gasket as shown in the FSM and another gasket that was metal covered in orange rubber. I reinstalled all of the gaskets, closed up the engine, fired her up and started spewing oil from the timing chain tensioner all over the place. Was the third gasket I found normal, or someones fix before me? I would like to remove this gasket. Could I have over-torqued the chain tensioner and put it in beyond its normal operating range?

Oh, there is also a terrible ticking sound when the engine was running, but I believe that that was due to the tensioner being deprived of oil after being removed and reinstalled.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

·
SE-R enthusiast
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warning. I've run it less than a minute, lost about half a quart of oil. Its not leaving jackstands until I get this figured out.

·
just workin'
1,345 Posts
there should be a metal gasket and an o-ring, that orange colored one sounds like someone put an aftermarket one in and didn't take out the old one, just go buy a new gasket as long as the o-ring is still good. if you don't know your best bet would be to go buy a new tensioner and gasket and install that. its not that expensive and then you will know that it won't leak.

·
SE-R enthusiast
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I likewise have decided to replace the hardware (tensioner, gasket, o-ring). At 120,000 miles its about time anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts