SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went about installing my S4's today, finally after months of ownership.
I didnt finish because I think my torque wrench is messed up and it started to rain, I dont have a garage :(

Anyways, the instructions say take the distributor off, then the valve cover.
Once the Valve cover is off, rotate the crankshaft so #1 piston is at TDC.
Now by doing this, it obviously turned the camshafts, but I had taken the Distributor off so it didnt turn with the exhaust cam. Doesnt this screw it up? Whats the worst thing that could happen? is it the distributor being 180 degrees off or something?

Thanks,
Nate

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
couldnt you when you are done just take the distributor out and turn it around when your done? its only two bolts to take it out. if you make a mistake that is

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
it's keyed and only goes in one way. just stick it back on there, and set the distributor to the middle for 15 degrees.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont really know - I was thinking since I turned the engine over, the distributor is now going to try and spark a cylinder its not supposed to.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iczer200sx said:
it's keyed and only goes in one way. just stick it back on there, and set the distributor to the middle for 15 degrees.
Ok thats what I needed to know. So I can just turn the distributor myself until the key lines up?

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
I never took my distributor off when i did my cams...I left it in so I knew it wouldn't get screwed up and i used the 'key' on the cam to line it up correctly. That way i never had to worry about screwing with timing.

O

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OnyxEros said:
I never took my distributor off when i did my cams...I left it in so I knew it wouldn't get screwed up and i used the 'key' on the cam to line it up correctly. That way i never had to worry about screwing with timing.

O

Ill hafta remember that next time - that would make it a whole lot easier.

Thanks

·
Wiggatastic!
1,043 Posts
Thats a good way to keep timing, but in any case its not like its hard to take the distributor off or put it back in. Two bolts off, pull out, two bolts to put back on.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
If you have #1 cylinder at TDC, then the distributor rotor will point to the 5 o'clock position (down, to the right) as you look at it from the driver side of the engine bay.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok - I cant get the Intake Sprocket back on the cam. The dowel pins are at the right points, the cams are facing 10 and 2, but the chain seems to be entirely too tight, and I cant move the sprocket over far enought to slide it on.

I "HAD" the chain blocked with the piece of wood per JWT, but doesnt that just keep the chain from skipping a tooth down below? the wood was kind of in my way when putting the sprockets back on, so I took it out. I probably shouldnt have....

I have it tight still so it wont/shouldnt skip a tooth, but how do I get slack on the chain to get the sprocket on?

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
negative - no where in any of the instructions did it say to remove the chain tensioner. I heard it was PIA and didnt need to be done?

·
Registered
538 Posts
NateSR20 said:
negative - no where in any of the instructions did it say to remove the chain tensioner. I heard it was PIA and didnt need to be done?
That's the problem, you have to remove the tensioner, that will give you the slack you need to get the sprockets back on. It's easy, just two bolts and pull it out. It's a little tougher to put in though, just make sure you latch then unlatch it...

Good luck!

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks, I guess it wasnt that bad. I got the tensioner off, put the sprocket on, put the tensioner on. NOW the goddamn 1" wrench is too small for the CAM, so I cant tighten the Bolt to 116 ftlbs. I tried a 1 1/16th" and it was TOO BIG!?!?!?!

Is there a metric size in between those 2 sizes or something? ALL the instructions Ive read say use a 1", but it just doesnt fit.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got them installed and running!!!! Doesnt miss a beat - except while IDLEING!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

I used my dremel tool to make my 1" wrench a lil' bigger, but smaller than a 1 1/16th, so it worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya me too - thanks for the help. I need some tuning and I should be all set - I already broke them in, have about 150 miles on them so far. Today I am doing an oil change, new fuel filter, and ordering plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. It pulls to redline pretty well, but I LOST ALL LOW END. It kicks in a little after 4000 rpms. I didnt think it was supposed to be that bad, maybe I skipped a tooth or something. I feel like Im driving a Honda! :confused: :mad:

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the G20 ECU - Im so glad I got it, its well worth it. I accidentally whacked the rev limiter a few times cuz I wasnt used to how fast the RPMs kick up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts