SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone whats up?

Not really a technical problem. Teh stupid camsprocket bolts wont come loose. I used liquid wrench, an impact wrench, and the damn things wont budge.

I got Naji's install notes, FSM, and all the tools. Except a big torque wrench. Teh one i got only goes up to 75 ft/lb. Would a bigger one do the trick? FSM says to torwqe it to 101-116 ft/lb. I was gonna just blast it with the imp wr to put it back on. But why wont it come loose?

·
Registered
194 Posts
try using a 1/2 inch drive rachet with a 24mm?? socket. use a screw driver to stick inbetween one of the holes in the sprocket and turn till the screwdriver is securely in place so that the sprocket wont move. if that doesnt work, try more leverage by utilizing a longer pipe that will slip over the rachet. i just did this a couple hours ago...

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started painting the valve cover. Im in between coats now. Ill try the screw driver thing.
The funny part is in the FSm they guy is pictured like "lalala no prob" I ****ing blasted it with the impwr. and no dice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bennitto Mallito:
I started painting the valve cover. Im in between coats now. Ill try the screw driver thing.
The funny part is in the FSm they guy is pictured like "lalala no prob" I ****ing blasted it with the impwr. and no dice.
</font>
Heh, the FSM guy has been eating his Wheaties, and you haven't...

The screwdriver trick sounds nice, but remember that the block is made of aluminum, so I would try to avoid that. I would also avoid the impact wrench; I dunno why, something just doesn't seem right about that...

You need two wrenches - one open-end wrench of the appropriate size (sorry I don't know the size, I actually used vice grips - bad, I know; an adjustable wrench will most likely not fit in this area), and a 24mm (?) socket wrench. (With at least a 1/2" drive to be safe.) You really need to use a breaker bar here. (On the socket wrench preferably, or maybe even both wrenches.) Standing in front of the car, secure the cam by the designated area (it should be obvious) with the open-ended wrench in one hand. With the other hand (left, I suppose, unless you're in some sort of weird position...) use the socket wrench on the bolt to loosen it. Remeber to use the breaker bar. This will most likely result in grunting, perhaps accompanied by swearing.

I'm no expert (I can't emphasize this enough, hehe), but from what I've read, you must not use the chain alone to secure tham cam/cam sproket while tightening/removing the cam bolt. Doing so can result in a streched timing chain, which can thow-off cam timing, and lead to accelerated timing chain wear.

I hope this was all clear; I'm kinda tired/busy right now. Anyhow, good luck...

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Igot it. two screw drivers in the sprockets, and a lead pipe ext. on the socket wr. The bastige finally worked loose. Thanks for all the advice. It did the trick.

Now I wait for the paint to dry on the VC. The FSM says to put the distro on before the vc any reason why? I dont think i could get the vc on like this. Thanks again it was really helpful everyone

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
screw painting the valve cover! polish it! it looks SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts