SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FSM only outlines Timing Chain Removal. What if I just want to swap cams? Which parts can I skip if I Prop the timing chain, and do it like that?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
only do one cam at a time too, the chain might slip of both are taken off at the same time.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
only do one cam at a time too, the chain might slip of both are taken off at the same time.

</font>
Huh? What do you mean....i think i know what you are saying, but its confusing. You can undo both cams at the same time. Just make sure that your chain is zip-tied to both your sprockets, and use a bungee cord or rope attached to your hood to hold the sprockets up out of the way.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
ya, I bungeed mine too. what I meant is I was really scared that the chain might drop down, so I did one cam at a time, so I did not have to pull off my front cover to get everything lined up again.

</font>
The chain cant come off the crank pulley with the cover on, if thats what you mean. There is not enough clearance betwen the cover and pulley for the chain to slip off.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bungee cord is the best chain securing technique ive heard yet thanks.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I bungeed mine too. what I meant is I was really scared that the chain might drop down, so I did one cam at a time, so I did not have to pull off my front cover to get everything lined up again.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts