SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have 92 NX, AEBS header, UDP(2), pop intake and now a magnaflow muffler, the next step I want to take is the C3 cam. Do I need the ECU to use this cam? it will be a professional install, no way will I try this at home. The last mod I want to do is the ECU so the cam is next, is there anything anyone can tell me about this?

Thanks, this board has always been tons of help.

Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello, you don't need the computer to run those cams but if you did have it then they can make a program for those cams and it would make a little more hp. A friend of mine had the c2 cams before he got the computer and it ran pretty good. Ran better though with the computer. You absolutely need springer and retainers to run those cams. Those cams are too big to run with stock valve springs. The springs and retainers is going to cost a bit, just want to warn you.

------------------
k&n filter,g3 hs headers, no cat,greddy,fpr,jwt motormounts,54mmAFM,stage3 clutch,jwt flywheel,jwt s3 cams,aerospeed springs,konig tuners, 15.1 @ 91.6, no LSD

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I got mine put in Jim Wolfe claims you don't need spring/retainers, due to the wide lobe face of the cams. (I don't know)
I have heard of people not using the ecu. I have it. it smoothes out the idle some.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike sr20de:
My bad. I misread C3. I have the milder S3. disregard last post.
</font>
actually it's my bad, I ment the milder S3 cams also, does that need the ECU? from what I'm gathering it does not, springs? retainers? do the S3 cams need these also? anyone have a price on the "mild" S3 cams, what kind of HP increase would I be seeing?
are they worth it?

Thanks again, you guys are the best, and this is a very very civil board I must say, props to all.

Dave

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The S3 cams do not NEED the ecu. With your 7500 rpm redline and no speed limiter, you dont need the ecu as much as the later model cars do.
The S3 cams are fine with your stock springs and retainers.

You'll see about 8-10whp at peak.

List price is somewhere between 550-600. Even group deals end up above $500. You could also get the S4 cams for about the same price. They have a little more after peak HP and a slightly lopier idle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is correct about 8-10whp difference but that is an average. I have a magazine that shows the s3's with 25 more hp at 6500rpms over the stock cams and with a computer it's about 28hp. That was with the new engines but for the older it was about 12hp and 15hp with computer. It's definitely worth getting. I was running a 15.9 at 86mph(intake,header,exhaust) and when I got my s3 dropped to 15.1 at 91mph. Very worth it.

------------------
k&n filter,g3 hs headers, no cat,greddy,fpr,jwt motormounts,54mmAFM,stage3 clutch,jwt flywheel,jwt s3 cams,aerospeed springs,konig tuners, 15.1 @ 91.6, no LSD

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DannySE99:
It's definitely worth getting. I was running a 15.9 at 86mph(intake,header,exhaust) and when I got my s3 dropped to 15.1 at 91mph. Very worth it.

</font>
!!!! Theres like no way that could just be due to the cams. Was your car running poorly and then tuned up in between? I've seen cams drop 1/4 mile times from like 15.3's to 15.0's but never a 15.9 to a 15.1. Thats crazy.

------------------
Jordan "I hate my ECU" White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know it sounds crazy but it is true. My best time before my cams was a 15.9 and after was a 15.1 which I ran only once but the rest of my runs were 15.3's constantly. I bet it's unbelievable to you because you probably modified your car in a different order then mine. My friend Doug(the one the wrote that controversial s2000 gets whipped by 200sx)had intake,header,exhaust and was running a best of a 15.8. Then got some s3 cams and ran a best of a 15.0 so it was about the same improvement. Ripley's believe it or not.

------------------

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Wow, thats crazy. I ran a 15.4 without cams, and a 15.1 with them.

</font>
Hmmmm...preliminary reports suggest that you must SUCK!
j/k

All this talk is just hyping me up for time when my cams arrive. I talked to that Ben guy @ JWT on the phone last week about the C3/C4 cams. I could have sworn he said that the springs/retainers were $600 as were the cams! Holy ****! Can anyone back me up on that, or am I on crack?

Johnny GreenBack -- 4th member of up-and-coming entertainment super stars, ICY HOT STUNTAZ!!!

------------------
'97 200SX SE-R
JWT Intake and ECU
2 1/4 Exhaust
Short Shifter that's still too tall...
Other nifty items...

[This message has been edited by Johnny GreenBack (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny GreenBack:
Hmmmm...preliminary reports suggest that you must SUCK!
j/k
</font>
AHAHHAHA!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I could have sworn he said that the springs/retainers were $600 as were the cams! Holy ****! Can anyone back me up on that, or am I on crack?
</font>
Yes, those are the correct prices....as for oyu being on crack, how the hell should i know, but chances are the answer is yes!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Johnny GreenBack -- 4th member of up-and-coming entertainment super stars, ICY HOT STUNTAZ!!!

</font>
Oh geez! Noooo!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DannySE99:
. My best time before my cams was a 15.9 and after was a 15.1 which I ran only once but the rest of my runs were 15.3's constantly. My friend Doug(the one the wrote that controversial s2000 gets whipped by 200sx)had intake,header,exhaust and was running a best of a 15.8. Then got some s3 cams and ran a best of a 15.0 so it was about the same improvement.
</font>
Well, it is possible, that you just learned how to drive in that period...or you just got plain lucky.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny GreenBack:
I talked to that Ben guy @ JWT on the phone last week about the C3/C4 cams. I could have sworn he said that the springs/retainers were $600 as were the cams! Holy ****! Can anyone back me up on that, or am I on crack</font>

You heard right. The C cams cost about $1200.
Cams - $600
Springs and retainers - $600
= $1200

·
Registered
270 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
What was your timing with the stock cams?</font>
I have not advance my timing at all yet. So it should still be in stock form.

------------------

·
Registered
270 Posts
Originally posted by RPWSER:
Well, it is possible, that you just learned how to drive in that period...or you just got plain lucky.

Nope, Those were all cams. Prior to me getting the cams I had about 8 runs and best was 15.9 @ high 86mph with 2.3 to 2.5 60' times. With the s3 cams first run of the day, 15.1 @ 91mph with 2.2 60' and when the rest of the day 15.3 @90 - 91 with 2.3-2.5 60'. The cams gave me a 4 to 5 mph increase. So I don't think it was luck.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts