SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got them installed and I am getting very rough cold starts. My car will not even start unless I give it gas. It will die at stops and when I take it out of gear the rpm drop to 500. sometimes it dies. Is this normal? I have the JWT s3 cams and the ecu.
I thought the ecu would help this out.
Do I need to adjust the idle. It idles at 1000 and sinks some. Any help would be appreciated.
I am new to the world of cams so please enlighten me

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Mike, I think they just need to be broken in. You didn't go to Kennedale or Ennis tonight, did you? Don't the cams need 1000 mile to be broken in?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
No, not even close to 1000 miles. 50-75 miles is plenty of break-in.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike sr20de:
I just got them installed and I am getting very rough cold starts. My car will not even start unless I give it gas.
</font>
Hmm....unless someone can help me out here, the only thing i can think of is this....If your car is having a tough time starting, it has nothing to do with the ECU, and only has to do with your install. You possibly skipped a few teeth on the timing chain. What method did you use to secure it? Sounds like your timing is very retarded, unlees its just a coincidence it happened at the same time as the install??

------------------
Ryan Walsh...Hmmm, what should I buy with my $708 bucks from income tax returns?!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
My friend marks car with the s4's and JWT ECU does the same thing occasionally when it is very cold. I think it might be normal and most likely isn't the install since Jay H. installed them.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header(not installed), Hotshot CAI (to be installed after I return from Canada)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Wanna hear something funny? My car never stalls cold, but sometimes after driving it for awhile and getting it fully warmed up and trying to re-start it wont start for a minute. Weird

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's in the idle circuit. You gotta go through everything and reset/bring it back to spec. The ECU also has to adjust for the cams, give it time.

Ryan, Marks SE-R has gotten better since we installed the cams as it would not even idle after the install. we did not go through anything on the idle, and the ECU has corrected enought to make it livable.

Not all cars have this problem. Mine was fine. Some do.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Yea, his cams are cool now. If only he could get up my driveway in the snow without his mudflap falling off.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, they smooth out pretty good. who did them?

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
My S3/cams are fine. My car will occasionally
stall if its cold and I don't allow my car to warm up. My cars timing is set to 15degrees as suggested. I was wondering does everyones car maintain idle at 1000rpm once the S3cam was installed? Mine does, and with my car sitting in park I can stomp the the gas to redline. The car really has a race car feel. Does anyone know how much transmission fluid is needed for the SE-R transmissions.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
no, mine is about 800 rpms, but I have a 5sp, not an auto, could be diffrent. I also messed with the idle on it too.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
94 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
My friend marks car with the s4's and JWT ECU does the same thing occasionally when it is very cold. I think it might be normal and most likely isn't the install since Jay H. installed them.
</font>
I guess it varies from car to car. My '91 SE-R with the S4 cams doesn't stall when cold, but it does run quite rough for a while (it seems to have a frequent miss every few seconds). I think the ECU does do a bit of learning, because the engine speed would usually drop quite low as I was coming to a stop (clutch disengaged); now it still drops, but not quite as low.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
That is weird Jordan. Maybe that problem isn't related to the cam's?

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
This is weird.

My car only will have a hard time starting up after driven a while, shut down and restarted SOMETIMES. I never have a problem with it being cold out. It cold idles at like 1300rpms till it warms a bit than thats it. Weird weird weird.....

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My car only will have a hard time starting up after driven a while, shut down and restarted SOMETIMES. I never have a problem with it being cold out. It cold idles at like 1300rpms</font>
That sounds right. Your cold idle is controlled by the ecu differently because it is trying to warm the cat up. As the car warms up the ecu then goes into closed loop mode and isn't made to handle the big cams.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
It could be the starter beginning to go bad. But I never had problems before the cams. It's almost like the car doesn't have enough compression to crank over or something. ???

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey fellas,
My car runs smooth now! After about 200 miles of driving and racing it runs smooth.

it only dies when I cold start it. anywho, I ran a 9.9 this weekend against a firbird.
He ran an 8.7. I killed a new prelude (kid could not drive) and numerous integras.

I like my cams.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
It could be the starter beginning to go bad. But I never had problems before the cams. It's almost like the car doesn't have enough compression to crank over or something. ???

</font>
No, Jordan....its is just becasue your car is a POS.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts