SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, this is exactly what I did. I followed the FSM, installed the cams and rotated the motor over a few times. At TDC my chain looks like this. This is for a rwd redtop motor, I did a headgasket and head studs install. the chain was installed on lined up with the crank sprocket mark and same thing on the cams, all the marks on the sprockets lined up with all the marks on the chain.

As soon as I turn the motor a tiny tiny bit clockwise, slack appears. The chain tensioner is completely released, is this ok? Cause it doesnt seem normal and a long time ago I brought a motor to a shop and they told me the timing was wrong and this exact situation was going on. Any advice? Will this slack go away with oil pressure or is there something I need to do?

·
se-r D.I.Y.-er
67 Posts
should be fine. I just started a thread because of the same issue w/ my fwd rebuild. Basically the tensioner doesn't have enough oil in it yet to fully push back on the chain. Once you crank it up the oil pressure will build up and restore the full tension.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The slack shows up because only one of the cams is turning. I've seen the samething before, and once you turn the motor a little more, the slack will go away.

·
Banned
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The slack shows up because only one of the cams is turning. I've seen the samething before, and once you turn the motor a little more, the slack will go away.
I rotated the motor over several times and the slack isnt going away. But Im just going to prime the motor up and see what happens, hope the chain doesnt snap or anything worse happens.

·
330 Posts
youll be good once u prime it up.. rarely have a seen a chain pop off because of the tensioner not being pumped up yet.. let alone on a nissan... prime it up a bit youll see itll take the slack away after a few cranks....

·
Registered
SR20DE stock G20 p10 highport
75 Posts
youll be good once u prime it up.. rarely have a seen a chain pop off because of the tensioner not being pumped up yet.. let alone on a nissan... prime it up a bit youll see itll take the slack away after a few cranks....
By "priming it up" you mean cranking the ignition with the fuel pump fuse removed so that there is no fuel or combustion creating excessive force on the crankshaft and pistons. The starter turns the crankshaft so that the oil pump creates pressure, but there is no combustion happening that would require consistent lubrication for the pistons. Correct?
I understand priming the engine to mean Pulling the fuel pump fuse (lower-left side of steering wheel, infront of your left knee) and Cranking the engine until the Low Oil Pressure warning light disappears.

I have the same slack appearing in the chain, between the cam sprockets, but I have yet to crank the engine, or even prime it. I trust that with oil pressure the tensioner will exert more force against the slack-side guide and thereby eliminate most of the slack between the cam sprockets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts