SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and searching on here for the best deal with the cams. I've heard getting a 91 ser cam works good and teh s4 are also good. but im not sure what would be the best bet I'm plannign on goign turbo next summer and i want to have my engine running great by then and be ready for the boost. I looked at the sticky about them and the list and it seems you haev to buy the valve springs for most of the higher ones so whats my best bet to go with? thanx for the help

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
if your not going for max power right now, it's prolly good enough to get the 91 cam. i put one in and got a good 8-12hp. awesome pull after 4k. i got one for $35 so if it's between that and spending $400 for 15-20hp, i would go with the 91 cam. esp if your going turbo soon you don't need s4

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
just my broke ass opinion. i'm sure others will dissagree

·
Blast From The Past...
1,994 Posts
IHMO a 91-93 intake cam is a great mod for the lowport motor, especially since you could find one for fairly cheap here in the classifieds. And if you are wanting bigger cam's for a good price, just look in the classifieds as I am doing. But as far as going turbo, I have read that either the S3's and/or S4's were great for boost.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
LikeTheMovies said:
I've been looking around and searching on here for the best deal with the cams. I've heard getting a 91 ser cam works good and teh s4 are also good. but im not sure what would be the best bet I'm plannign on goign turbo next summer and i want to have my engine running great by then and be ready for the boost. I looked at the sticky about them and the list and it seems you haev to buy the valve springs for most of the higher ones so whats my best bet to go with? thanx for the help
On a budget you can get the 91 cam. Otherwise get the S3, or S4's with cam gears to dial out overlap (when you go turbo).

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if im worried about wasting money i should just get the s3 or s4s insted of messing with the 91? cuz i don't think im gonna be doing much racing over the winter lol and how much of a differece is there between the s3 and s4? i saw that you need new valve springs for the s4

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
You saw wrong. valve springs are not needed for S series cams. S4's will make more top end but less bottom end, and you will want cam gears for them if you're turbo. S3's will be ok without cam gears.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
well lightweight, here's the thing. i don't think a 91 cam would be a waste of money. look for dyno charts on a stock car with s4 or s3. i don't know if your gonna find one but look at it this way. you can spend literally 1/10th the money and get 10hp. or spend 10 times more than that and maybe get a couple more. i'm not saying the s3 or s4 are bad, but for the money, if your not looking for teh max gains right now, i would go with teh 91 cam. it makes a world of differnece. put your timing at 17 or 19 too and it'll be a new motor i promise

·
Registered
683 Posts
mpg9999 said:
You saw wrong. valve springs are not needed for S series cams. S4's will make more top end but less bottom end, and you will want cam gears for them if you're turbo. S3's will be ok without cam gears.
i think it was S4's that are okay without cam gears. i say S4's for a t25 to make up for the top end power.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well then im thinking i should just go for the 91 cam....then eventurally after i get this thing where i want it have another goal and just get the s3 or 4s then thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Rob said:
im running s4s straight up with my t25 and no problems. most people seem to do the same
I would run cam gears *especially* with the T25. Lots of overlap is bad on those small turbined turbo's. If you had a huge turbo on there that goes into crossover then the overlap isnt an issue. You can do alot of things and not have any apparent issues, but its not something I would do.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
i'd like to see dyno's proving this. like i said, one of the fla guros said straight up is fine so thats what i do...

there may be some more power but most cheapasses like me run t25s! :rofl:

mpg9999 said:
I would run cam gears *especially* with the T25. Lots of overlap is bad on those small turbined turbo's. If you had a huge turbo on there that goes into crossover then the overlap isnt an issue. You can do alot of things and not have any apparent issues, but its not something I would do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts