Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-----------Degree-------Lift------

In Low------238--------10.5-----
In High-----296--------12.5-----

In Low------254--------8.6------

Mike K gave a few numbers for cams for the VE, but I feel the numbers are to big on the low side. The reason we like the VE is for low down HP and Torque and its smooth idle. With the figures he gave I feel the motor will loose its characteristics.

Mike K has a 200 WHP DE and he loves the top end power, but has admitted that the low end idle and power is a little weak. He has also complained here that the idle is very bothersome. Now I have a DE motor with C3s and I will be going to the mechanical cams and I know I will not loose to much bottom end power becasue my motor is 2.2L but I know I will hate the idle aslo. I feel with cams in the S3-S4 size range we will still get a bad idle and the bottom end will be a littler weak. If this VE cam thing gets done please make a pole of what people are looking for and not what one person wants.

I know with the high side figures I have the top end power will be great. I also feel that the low end idle and power will be perfect. Now these figures are just figures I have thrown out there so these figures are open to change but if you dont know what you are doing please don't make any sujestions.

·
8,886 Posts
S3's on the bottom end is all you need and even that may be too much. Those new C'6's at the top would be perfect it seems. They start making good power in the 4K range. S3's would be fine for that. As would the 20V low side I would guess as well. Only advantage to the S4's is topend. Why take a hit in the idle for something you would never use.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
What I would look for in cams would be a low side that keeps a nice idle but still adds a little power and monster bad ass balls to the wall power on the high side.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
^^^^^Then you would get a big hole in midrange power. Unfortunately it becomes a compromise again, with great big high end power, you're either going to have a slightly lopey idle and great midrange, or smooth idle and weak midrange.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I don't think there will be a big midrange loss. I have S3s in my NX now and the midrange actually feels stronger then stock to me. A similar grind for the low side would be fine with me.

FastNX said:
^^^^^Then you would get a big hole in midrange power. Unfortunately it becomes a compromise again, with great big high end power, you're either going to have a slightly lopey idle and great midrange, or smooth idle and weak midrange.

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
20v low side and 304deg 13.0Lift.When you start using big low end's you loose power.Notice n1 make more power than 20v on down low?and 20v make more midrange.To gain max hp on low you need a small cam.

·
BOOSTED
262 Posts
i'll deal with a f#ck up idle.MY mounts already shake me to death so i cant get no worst. Bring on the 20v low side, balls to wall top end i agree

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Why bother getting a VE then? You would be better off with huge cams in a DE. The best thing about the VE is that you can have a decent idle and low end *and* a big top end. Its the best of both worlds and why I really like the VE engine.

B-MoreNiSmO said:
i'll deal with a f#ck up idle.MY mounts already shake me to death so i cant get no worst. Bring on the 20v low side, balls to wall top end i agree

·
BOOSTED
262 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Why bother getting a VE then? You would be better off with huge cams in a DE. The best thing about the VE is that you can have a decent idle and low end *and* a big top end. Its the best of both worlds and why I really like the VE engine.
ME too! i thought that is what i was saying. Yeah what you said . I just dont care More Power alway we can . Help not Hinder

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Please keep the conversation going as talk is intrest. We need to show that there is an intrest in having these cams made. To get a project like this going we need to show intrest. VE motors are starting to get hot and if we get enough out on the market the powers that be might consider making some nasty cams for the VE.

Please take a look at my cam #s I put up. The low side cams are about the size of stock 91-98 cams. I think this cam size will be the best compromise.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
-----------Degree-------Lift------

In Low------238--------10.5-----

In Low------254--------8.6------

Mike K gave a few numbers for cams for the VE, but I feel the numbers are to big on the low side. The reason we like the VE is for low down HP and Torque and its smooth idle. With the figures he gave I feel the motor will loose its characteristics.

Mike K has a 200 WHP DE and he loves the top end power, but has admitted that the low end idle and power is a little weak. He has also complained here that the idle is very bothersome. Now I have a DE motor with C3s and I will be going to the mechanical cams and I know I will not loose to much bottom end power becasue my motor is 2.2L but I know I will hate the idle aslo. I feel with cams in the S3-S4 size range we will still get a bad idle and the bottom end will be a littler weak. If this VE cam thing gets done please make a pole of what people are looking for and not what one person wants.

I know with the high side figures I have the top end power will be great. I also feel that the low end idle and power will be perfect. Now these figures are just figures I have thrown out there so these figures are open to change but if you dont know what you are doing please to make sujestions.
Ha, low end power and idle were not a little weak, they sucked. I think the ideal cam would have the C1 specs on the small cam but have the intake and exhaust advanced a couple of degrees, a switchover around 5500 rpm to the C6M lobe ground on tight lobe centers, although that might mean new pistons with deep relivefs so it probably wont get made that way, proably as tight as posible.

I think this cam will finaly allow the SR engine to reach its full potential. I bet 220 whp may be posible with the right headers and tuning. Even more with bigger displacemnt and tall deck blocks etc.

To make these cams would require a demand for 100 sets to break even, to pay for the cost of tooling for the billets and two sets of lobe masters (remember the VE needs twice as many lobes). You have to figure the cams will cost more because lobe griding is the most expensive part of making a cam and you need to grind more lobes per cam. Figure $100 bucks or so more pwer cam.

Maybe we need a new survey to size up the market so I can convince someone to make cams. JWT will probably be the only company interested or capable.

Mike

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
98sr20ve said:
I have been seeing this day coming for a while. I think its possible. Look at all the people wanting N1 cams.

This VE cam thing can also be done if we are also willing to spend an xtra $200 for these cams over the N1 cams.

Please note as far as HP per $ goes this would be a great investment.

Lets say N1 cams make peak WHP at 7800 RPMs and these new cams make 10 more WHP at 8300 RPMs the xtra WHP under the curve would be massive.

You would be able to run the 1/4 mile in the top of 3rd at say 8500 rpms at 102-103 MPH on a 2L bottom end.

Get the block done from 2.2L-2.4L and you got 106-110 MPH NA car running high 12s.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
This VE cam thing can also be done if we are also willing to spend an xtra $200 for these cams over the N1 cams.

Please note as far as HP per $ goes this would be a great investment.

Lets say N1 cams make peak WHP at 7800 RPMs and these new cams make 10 more WHP at 8300 RPMs the xtra WHP under the curve would be massive.

You would be able to run the 1/4 mile in the top of 3rd at say 8500 rpms at 102-103 MPH on a 2L bottom end.

Get the block done from 2.2L-2.4L and you got 106-110 MPH NA car running high 12s.

Would they require valve springs like N1s? How high should we be able to rev? 8500 would be very nice.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
220whp with useable bottom end??? Sign me up.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I think Andreas' cam specs are looking really good as most people still drive their cars on the street and not for a pure track car purpose. I'm interested in how we would be able to rev to 8500 considering the ECU is only rated/limited to 7950. If a VE gets cams made, it's going to be a monster.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts