SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new head for my sr20de for real cheap. I am going to get it sent out for port and polish, but I need to still get vavles springs ect. I am not sure about cams yet i am going to check my car now the kid i bought it from said he had but cams in but can u trust anyone? If you have any ideas or used parts for sale or what not any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
SE-R1992ReD said:
I just got a brand new head for my sr20de for real cheap. I am going to get it sent out for port and polish, but I need to still get vavles springs ect. I am not sure about cams yet i am going to check my car now the kid i bought it from said he had but cams in but can u trust anyone? If you have any ideas or used parts for sale or what not any help would be great!
Porting is expensive and doenst give the biggest gain for the buck. If I were just starting out, there are a whole bunch of other things I would do before porting the head. Good porting by a top head porter who knows what hes doing goes for about 1000-1500 and gives at the most 10 hp. Very basic porting is about 5 hp.

Doing all the best bolt ons should be considered before sinking that much money into your project. Porting from a bad head guy will actualy cost you power.

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. But I dont know of any other bolt ons that are going to give me power. I want to build the head up then do the low end.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had the time to look yet and its also to cold to work on my car right now. But when I got the car it was a shaddy deal. The kid was an ass after i got it and **** long story. So its not that i cant see them thanks for the help though.

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
If you want a nice NA setup I can get you new JWT C3 cams and new Jun valve springs for $730 shipped.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
If you want a nice NA setup I can get you new JWT C3 cams and new Jun valve springs for $730 shipped.
Andreas, the JUN springs are not ideal for those cams.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Subculture said:
I take it that valve train harmonics are the reason?
yes harmonics and spring pressure.

Also C3's might not be the ideal cam for someone who wants streeabilty. When the cam timing is adjusted for best power, the idle is pretty stout.

Mike

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Naw I respect any opinion dr dre might have on the matter.

Mike
Here what I have done as far as cams valvesprings and retainers. I have tried them all.

JWT, Jun, Toda, Comp and Ferrea. Now the only valve springs that sucked were the Ferrea ones. Dougnosser had Comp, I have JWT, Vaughn had Toda The 9 sec race car ran Jun and Ferrea. We put the Jun's back in after one testing. All these car saw from S4s- C3s. All these motors still run and have had no problems yet oldest springs have been in for 5 years or so.

The Jun's were the ones that the 9 sec race car loved and we have never thrown a rocker arm out. We shift the car at 8,700. The only mod to the valve train were Titanium retainers, Jun springs and My rocker are shave and shim trick.

Now I am not one to get into the science of the things but in the real world it worked like a charm.

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
rocker shave and shim trick? what exactly is that? Also, just curious, but was that w/ stock hydro lash setup or mech?

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
SE-R1992ReD said:
Thanks for the info. But I dont know of any other bolt ons that are going to give me power. I want to build the head up then do the low end.
ok, but unless you're going to boost some mad psi, 20 or higher you pretty much don't have to touch the lower end, just my opinion though, as soon as you take it apart you'll see what i mean, these sr20s are built like a tank.
what were you planning on doing? n20, boost, na?
which headeR do you have and what size exhaust are you using?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
Here what I have done as far as cams valvesprings and retainers. I have tried them all.

JWT, Jun, Toda, Comp and Ferrea. Now the only valve springs that sucked were the Ferrea ones. Dougnosser had Comp, I have JWT, Vaughn had Toda The 9 sec race car ran Jun and Ferrea. We put the Jun's back in after one testing. All these car saw from S4s- C3s. All these motors still run and have had no problems yet oldest springs have been in for 5 years or so.

The Jun's were the ones that the 9 sec race car loved and we have never thrown a rocker arm out. We shift the car at 8,700. The only mod to the valve train were Titanium retainers, Jun springs and My rocker are shave and shim trick.

Now I am not one to get into the science of the things but in the real world it worked like a charm.
You gotta look out for spring surge though, the C3's push the valvetrain to the limit and have really fast flanks. They come close even with the valve springs. I bet you'll find a slight power gain with the JWT springs over the JUN springs as well as better reilabitly.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
nismo200se-r said:
Sounds like some JWT crap to me,,,people mix valve trains all day long
Its not crap, its called engineering. ;)

I suggest that if you don't belive me, then go ahead and mix and match stuff. Just remember that catastropic failures like broken springs and thrown rockers can be very expensive, especialy if a valve drops.

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Its not crap, its called engineering. ;)

Mike

Sounds like you have been JWT brainwashed. Read this thread, how could a 9 sec car run that fast with different valve train components if they are engineered to work only with the same brand. JWT only says that to make MORE money.

Believe only half of what you hear and research the rest.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have custom hearders and 2.5 exhaust its how i bought the car...waiting for greddys new exhaust to come out in about a month.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts