SR20 Forum banner

cams vs head swap

4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  CowboyDren 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Have any of you with experience with the sr16ve determined whether the valvetrain differs from the sr20ve head? The reason i ask, with the price of sr16ve motors being so cheap, it almost makes sense to just swap the head from a sr16 rather than install the sr16 cams. Particularly if the valvetrain is better for the higher revving sr16. Plus, afterwards, you could put the sr20 head on the sr16 block and maybe have a decent little motor to install in a turbo beater experiment or something to see how the thing handles boost. I know this was discussed somewhat a while back but i dont remember a definitive answer and i couldnt find the thread. thanks

nathan

#29 ·
None of them require modification to the valvetrain, that's why you're looking at a VE in the first place. To put the hotter (N1 or 20V) cams in a lesser motor, you'll need new valvesprings, but that's it.

The large motors will make better torque than the small motors, which would make them "smoother" to somebody who doesn't know what they're after. By putting any alternative cam in an SR20VE, you'll improve the low-end torque even more, thereby further improving drivability around town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.