SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my recent goof up I have ordered my JDM engine and a Holeshot header! After further review of my budget I can also afford JWT s4 cams! Now, after you zip tie the timing chain to the cam sprockets and unbolt the sprockets, how in the hell do you keep the whole assembly from falling into the black hole? I'm thinking a small block of wood W/ a hole drilled at the top and a dowel to locate it. Is this far-fetched or maybe someone has a better idea. Any better ideas welcome!!!

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I have yet to try it, but some people have told me to bungee the chain to the hood. I think it is genius, and plan to try it like that. Although I've wondered if it would stretch the chain.

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
What we usually do is use a friend. They hold the chain while you install the new cam. The bungee hooked to the hood is the other way if you are doing this solo.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R custom cold air by Andreas, AEBS header, Greedy exhaust, JWT motor mounts, UR pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve springs and titanium retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters flywheel,Sprint spring/AGX combo, no cat, custom JWT computer w/cam program, Bored airflow meter, and a best ET of 14.78 @94.8mph on street tires with full interior and no limited slip diff!

·
Registered
194 Posts
dougnosser, just curious, on your sig, you say no cat....don't you have a second oxygen sensor that is located by or on the catalytic converter? I've got a 96 ser, and I've got two, one on the manifold, and one on the cat. how did you do it, how does it run? thanks

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I wouldn't try doing the job alone.... Those bolts attaching the sprockets to the cams are torqued to over 100 ft-lb. I'd be impressed to see one person get those loose. It's a much simplier job if you have two people doing it. It helps to have two people just to keep track of things too. Make sure you have the FSM. The bolts have to be untorqued and retorqued in a specified order and amounts.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First I need to do the swap Saturday then next weekend do the cams. By the way, where do all the nissan guys hang out on weekends? There doesn't seem to be too many modified sr20 powered cars in the Worthington/ Dublin area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts