SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was curious it has been bugging me for a while but I think a while back I got a wrong diagnosis for my car. I bought a s15 ages ago that originally was running rich (black on all spark plugs also had a broken rocker arm which not sure if that ended up ripping through the valve seals when it broke) no carbon deposits though, though I was going through my entire sump of oil in 300km or less and when I revved it up to 4k rpm in idle I would get a **** ton of blue smoke or when changing gears or taking off from a red light I'd get white smoke. My question is though, is it possible for a faulty fuel injector or multiple injectors to cause massive amounts of oil burning like in my scenario? I've just been really curious. Also is it possible if the car was sitting most of the time in the garage for over 6 months if this could cause the piston rings to seize up? Also based on this information what would you guess the likely cause is?

Car was completely stock, did have a boost controller before but I removed that where the PCM valve was cancelled and the boost controller was connected.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,635 Posts
Your description indicates to me that your rings AND valve guides are shot. Under throttle bad rings allow oil to be sucked from the crankcase on the intake stroke. The white smoke when throttle is closed is oil getting past valve guides while the intake manifild has high vacuum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your description indicates to me that your rings AND valve guides are shot. Under throttle bad rings allow oil to be sucked from the crankcase on the intake stroke. The white smoke when throttle is closed is oil getting past valve guides while the intake manifild has high vacuum.
oh damn, do turbos have this symptom and if so can they burn that much oil? If the rings were the problem would you say they were broken or stuck? I was thinking the car had a rocker arm broken initially because of a small impact and not sure if the force of that impact snapped the piston ring or if that's possible.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,635 Posts
Turbos can also contribute smoke when bearing and seals go bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbos can also contribute smoke when bearing and seals go bad.
Ah ok but what about above, if my rings are the main problem would you say they usually get stuck or do they break? Also if having a minor front impact could break a piston ring?

·
Bitter Old Man
2,635 Posts
Worn rings and/or cylinders are the usual culprit but rings do break. Serban Gilvrescu just tore down his SR20VE due to oil consumption and found broken ring lands on two pistons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts