SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just come to my mind about a crazy (but maybe $ saving) idea that if I can take out the rear OE brake assembly and put on my front OE brake assem.? And then I will set up a new performance upgraded front brake assembly on my car. Is such a crazy idea practicable? Could any experienced talent tell me about that? Tahnks a lot!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To : ser_200sx (MarC)

What's the E-brake stuff? Do you mean that there is no room for the parking brake on the OE front brake clipper?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, MarC:
Did you mean that I can't connect the parking brake cable on the front OE clippers if I try to change them to the rear?
Or can I just remove the OE front rotor to the rear and keep using the original rear clippers (maybe just move them outward to accommodate the larger OE front rotors)?
Could you tell me your opinions?

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Yeah, I think it would have been done before if it were worthwhile.

But hey, if you got enough $$, I'm sure it can be done.

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
705 Posts
It cant be done, cuz the front and rear rotors are different sizes, so youd have to change the calipers along wiht the rotors, and oyu cant do that. like Marc said, the ebrake stuff stops that from happening.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
The rear caliper has a port for the parking brake that the front caliper doesn't. The rears have a "ratcheting mechanism" for the e-brake cable built into the caliper that would be ridiculously expensive to retrofit to the fronts.

That's why when you swap rear pads (winds up being every 100k miles or so
) you use a pair of needle-nose pliers or a piston cube to rotate the piston back into the bore.

Also, your car will explode and time will run backwards if you try to put the front calipers at the rear. You don't want to take that chance - just get the SMC rear big brake kit. Or find out how to retrofit the Maxima rear brakes as talked about in the archives.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited 03-29-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts