SR20 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got into a little accident with my car, a '97 200SX SE-R. I was going downhill, approaching a little right-turning curve, when a guy pops out going in reverse to park.. I hit the brakes, but I slide, and I steer to the left to avoid him... there's only about 1.5 car space besides the parked cars... well I didn't hit him, but I did hit the sidewalk on the left side, I hit and messed up my front left tire. Well the tire didn't pop, the rim got all scratched up, but it's bent back now... if you can imagine, the wheel is turned in toward the left a bit, to the back so that it rubs with the wheel well on the back, and the top is sticking out, I think that's negative camber (not straight like this | but bent like this \ .). I'm not sure yet what exactly got messed up, but my friend who is studying to be a mechanic is going to check it out... do you guys think I can fix it myself and/or with my friends help, I haven't really worked much on cars, but I can read and learn pretty easily... well I hope the damage isn't too bad because money is really bad right now for me :( ... well wish me luck anyway... I'll let you guys know what my friend says when he checks it out, maybe you guys can help me get it fixed quickly, efficiently, easily, and cheaply :p .. thanks for reading my long message

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well kinda sounds like its gonna need a lower control arm at least and maybe a few other things.

Something underneath got bent up. If it smacked the curb real hard it may have gotten into the body but i doubt it. The control arm is prolly bent (pic one up from courtesy or from a junkyard.)

Just take this opportunity to put the ES bushings on and be sure to put a new ball joint on. (New arm will come with new balljoint.)

Of course the wheel may be bent as well so you will need to check that out and get a new (or used) wheel as well.

Last autocross i went to i saw a guy in a TTZ do that to a curb. Plowed around a turn and slid off course to the curb (a loooong way!) and did the same kinda thing.

Not really all that hard of a job to do this and with your freinds help it should go pretty smoothly.

Hope that helps.
Rick

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
You may need a new axle too...my friend did the same thing over the summer. He needed a control arm, and new axle because it cracked. Good luck

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow morning (well later actually), I'm gonna go under the car and check it out from there... I have a haynes manual, and it has a picture of the underside so I can compare a bit... I know I'm gonna check out the lower control arm, but is there anything else I should check? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i also kissed the curb while making a left turn...

it sounded real damaging but the car isn't messed up any. wheel and tires look perfectly fine. however, the steering is a slight bit off center now..

besides the steering wheel... i don't notice any other major problems..

can this be fixed with just an alignment?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, I don't think my problem is just an alignment problem... I really smacked the curb pretty hard... it's all bent and stuff, maybe I can get a picture, but I doubt it

·
Registered
858 Posts
oh yeah i've been down that road once.I got a remanufactured axle 60 bucks andcontrolarm from junkyard replaced balljoint and bushings needed a new rim.all together600 bucks and change ouch! bad week I remember eating yogurt for lunch that whole week cause I was broke after that mess summer of 1995. :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow $600 bucks, ouchy I may be w/o a car for a longer time... but that $600 was including labor charges? becuase if it's not too bad to do I'll just do it myself... thanks though... hopefully my rim is alright, cause b14 SE-R rims don't seem to be too easy to find (and I had just cleaned all my rims that day too to look all nice) thanks for help though

·
Registered
858 Posts
that was with a new rim though. let's see axle 60 bucks control arm junkyard 40-60 bucks and yes you can do it yourself but you'll need a wheel alignment after they also have place that can repair your rim or get a used one at a junkyard if you can find it. I put in my es bushings in before since I had the control arm in my hand already.ball joint 20 bucks from after market 22 bucks and tell the shop you buy it from to sell you the nipples in order to make the ball joint greasable. you can grease it up every couple of months. just drill a 1/8" hole and bam you're dome but you need a tool to press the ball joint in the arm. damn that was a long reply.:)

·
8,148 Posts
redman007 said:
oh yeah i've been down that road once.I got a remanufactured axle 60 bucks andcontrolarm from junkyard replaced balljoint and bushings needed a new rim.all together600 bucks and change ouch! bad week I remember eating yogurt for lunch that whole week cause I was broke after that mess summer of 1995. :(
Yogurt? I eat 2 packs of Ramen Noodles and drain the water each day for lunch NOW. A case of 12 is $1.50 in Pathmark.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Second day i had my liscense first snow the the year came down, feeling a little fun in me i was driving a little dumb, when around a cauldasack with a island in the middle comeing around the edge of the cauldasack i lost control sliding at a angle towards the island curb fast, wasnt able to slow at all, hit the curb with my front left, laughed as i watched my hubcap roll away, cried as my car cam to a flat tire stop lol. bent the rim and popped the tire. only costed me like 100 dollars for a new stock rim (wtf ups with that?). anyways its wasnt fun lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was tooling around under my car today and it looks like it's only the lower control arm that got messed up. Hopefully it's only that... I almost have it off, I just have one more bolt and nut to take off.. the pivot one I think... but it's really hard to move.. I think I got it to budge maybe a millimeter... any advice on how to get it to move? Thanks for the help though..

·
Registered
301 Posts
hey it sounds like its just the control arm, negative camber is like this i believe /, and truthfully im not sure if its run in the front like it can be run in the back, but my buddy has 18's on his 325i , and he is running it in the back without problems, just a little more wear then usual. but take a look at the control arm, your axle seems fine judging from your description.

i did this to my right front rim, which ended up scraping up the rim and popping the tire, luckily my alignment is fine. if you are concerned about the rim you can polish them up too look very nice by takin some sand paper to it and rubbing the coating off. in this process you would be taking out scratches and whatnot as well but.... you would have to do that to all four. the results look nice though IMO.

Matt

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced the lower control arm today, everything else looked fine to me, although there is something else left to do. When I drive now, there is something rubbing, like metal-to-metal, it sounds when my wheels are moving, in sync with my wheel movement.... sometimes it goes away like when I'm turning (just turning left I think)... well thanks again for all your help, thanks to you guys, I was able to do this myself :)

If you can offer any help as to what to look for to find out the source of that sound, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You probably toasted your wheel bearing on that side when you smacked the curb. That noise is the rotor rubbing up against the dust shield. How do I know this? I just replaced my front wheel bearings, and was hearing this noise prior to fixing it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Scarpa for the tip... does the wheel bearing have another name? I was trying to find it on www.car-part.com but I didn't see any choice for wheel bearing.. maybe it's also called the spindle? Thanks again. By the way, how much did you pay for your wheel bearings?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Go to www.carparts.com and enter your vehicle information. Then select "Replacement Parts" and you will get a categorical listing of parts. Wheel bearings are under "Wheel Bearings and seals." Should run you around $75 for two bearings. I didn't end up getting them through carparts.com because GregV at Mossy Nissan hooked me up. To replace them you will need to take the spindle off and then have the bearings pressed out and in. Total cost for the job was around $200 for parts (bearings, seals) and labor (pressing them out, I took the spindles off myself). Good luck,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.