SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 200sx which has a infiniti g20 dropped in. a friend from a body shop tells me its a jdm engine...? is that so?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hear an annoying sound comin out... i thought it was pistons but my same friend said pistons can never be heard. so he said it it could be my cam gears BUT .... i learned it had cam chains... never heard of that. when and how do i change/upgrade chains? are there performance parts like the cam gears???

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Well it would help if you gave us an idea of what kind of noise.

Does it go away when you rev the motor?

Is it only on start-up?

Can you tell from what part of the motor it's comming from?

And as far as timing chains go, they rarely, if ever, need replacing. Though I had mine replaced about three years ago.

And yes, there are adjustable cam gears for the SR20, however, I would recommend doing all the bolt-ons First, then think about cam gears.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
jdmsr20 said:
i hear an annoying sound comin out... i thought it was pistons but my same friend said pistons can never be heard. so he said it it could be my cam gears BUT .... i learned it had cam chains... never heard of that. when and how do i change/upgrade chains? are there performance parts like the cam gears???
ask that friend if he has ever heard of a thing called piston slap :rolleyes:

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
and the annoying noise could just be the injectors, as sr20 injectors are loud as crap. or you could have a spun number 3 bearing.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
Wow you fit a g20 in an se-r engine bay? Cool. If that motor is straight out of a G20 theres no way it can be JDM because theres no such thing as INFINITI in japan. If you are talkin about about a JDM motor with an infiniti valve cover that makes sense. Or you could be talkin about a primera motor all along. Is it a lowport or highport, that should be a dead giveaway. What does it sound like. If its near the cam gears it could be the chain tensioner. You need to be clearer so we can help you more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i don't know lowport or highport... and what is a primera engine? my engine has a nissan valve cover but marked with "inifiniti g20" because it was replaced. and i believe da noise is comin from the chain area.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
jdmsr20 said:
i don't know lowport or highport...
From the SE-R.Net
"The *HIGH* port head is the 91-93, the *LOW* port head is the 94+... actual cutoff date is unknown. If your throttle body is up high, you have a *LOW* port head, if your throttle body is lower and close to the firewall, you have a *HIGH* port head."

and what is a primera engine?
The Nissan Primera (Infinity G20 here in the US) has the same motor ,SR20DE, but with (so I have been told)higher compression pistons 10:1 vs 9.5:1.

my engine has a nissan valve cover but marked with "inifiniti g20" because it was replaced. and i believe da noise is comin from the chain area.
Like I mentioned before, someone could have replaced the valve cover with an Ininiti one.

And if the noise is comming from the timing chain are, then your timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced.
P/N 13070-53J03

1 - 11 of 11 Posts