SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my 88 Civic LX (for one month) I wanted to do a bang for the buck handling mod and grab some 14" steelies from some ricer that had dumped his stockers for 25" wheels. (stock were 13" on my Civic) I still have them and the bolt pattern is correct, but the center hub opening is too small. Anyone know how I can make that hub opening bigger without sacrificing structural rigidity of the rims? They have bald tires on them which I would use to drag (or get slicks for them) but they just won't go on my car. If I grind out the center opening a bit, you guys think this would be safe for the structural rigidity of the wheel? That's the only thing I'm afraid of or I'd start grinding right away :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How much are new steelies from Pep Boys or something? I mean I have those stock 15 inch RSA's, but don't I want 14's for drag racing with my relatively stock car?

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Yes, I think it's possible. A shop here offered to do that for someone I know. You're not removing a lot of material, and it's from the structurally strongest section of the wheel anyway.

If you shop around, you should be able to find cheap ones with the proper centrebore anyway though. I found some for $30 CDN per corner (for US funds, take away .45 cents for each dollar).

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well you can grind the opening a little I think. You need to remmove like 3mm or so. Think the honduh rims are a 42 or 43 mm opening and we need 45mm. just make sure you have a shop do it cause if you dont your wheels can be WAY out of balance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ben, I wouldn't fart around with modified steel wheels. Too much effort/time/$$$ for so little in return. Besides, wheels are the only thing that connect the most important part of your car - your tires - to your car, and your car to the road. I wouldn't take a chance. I know Discount Tire or Tire Rack offer steelies(saw them yesterday), or check your local junkyard for steel or aluminum rims. Remember, unsprung weight is the enemy, and so are wheels that fall off!

B-man, waiting for the right deal for Rays Engineering, or other superlight wheels....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
just buy some bogarts, they weigh only like 2 lbs or something ludicrus like that. if we got everybody off the list to chip in .50, we might have enough for you (about 400 bux for a set of two)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I wasn't working 17 hours a day I would stop by some auto parts stores and see how much they cost.

I would ask how much I could get a pair from Courtesy, but I fear the shipping cost. (14")

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called Pep Boys and they don't carry steel wheels. Maybe I'll surf on over to sentra.net and see if someone has some for sale.

B13 and B14 have the same hub opening size?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think it would cost more for a shop to do this than just to buy new steelies? And what kind of shop would do something like that?

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Whoa, old thread aleart! You would need to have the hub hole on the wheel bored out to 59mm.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
read my reply from years ago. most typcial rims are like 42-43mm hub opening. se-r hubs need 45mm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts