SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished installing my "new" 50k mile junkyard tranny. I also put in a B15 SE stock clutch disk and JWT PP. First gear doesn't pop out anymore and with a better synchro I don't crunch on a quick 3rd to 4th shift.

Oh, and the reason I can't chirp anymore.... I also put in a Quaife ATB.
Holy cow! I autocrossed it for the first time today and was hitting cones left and right... which you might think is a bad thing until you realize I was hitting the cones because the car wasn't sliding thru a tight turn. Normally I'd aim for the cone and let my momentum push me just wide of the cone. With the Quaife the front tires grip immediately and pull you right thru the turn. The cones I would aim for I'd actually hit.

I had a best raw time of 43.7 which would have given me the class win by 0.5 secs had it not been for a Quaife induced cone. I was able to back up that time with a clean 43.7 in my lone fun run. I was only one tenth of a second behind the guy that won CSP at the National Tour this summer in Bremerton. He usually beats me by at least a second.

I'm convinced this mod makes as much difference in autox as installing a Ground Control suspension.

Steve

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by autoxer7:
I'm convinced this mod makes as much difference in autox as installing a Ground Control suspension.</font>
Ah, but don't they work well together? =)

Glad to hear your car's running well (and fast, too). So should I expect to see you near the top of SM at the Tour/Pros next year? =)

-Larry

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. If only autox mods added up. Let's see:

Shocktek suspension - 1 second
Quaife - 1 second
weight reduction - 0.3 second
move battery to trunk - 0.2 second
build 200+ whp engine - 0.5 second
wider, better tires - 0.5 seconds
etc, etc, etc

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. Kinda like when we try to add up power mods from headers, intakes, ECU, cams, exhaust.

As for being at the top of SM? Never! I lost to Corey Smith (2nd at Nats this year) by something like 9 or 10 seconds for the two day National Tour this summer. I have a chance on being competitive locally especially if I improve my driving... I'm sure one of the hotshoes could jump in my car and immediately take a couple seconds off.

Steve

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by autoxer7:
I'm sure one of the hotshoes could jump in my car and immediately take a couple seconds off.
Steve
</font>
Just take the Evolution Autocross school ASAP. It's the best autocross money you can spend. Seriously. I bet I improved, on the average, 1 full second after I took the school.

Getting 25-30 runs on the same course with segmented times is an unbelievable tool for working out those bad habits (like using brakes in slaloms).

In fact I may have lost something lately and probably could use to take Phase II now.

-LM

·
Registered
486 Posts
hey i'm not too read up on my suspension, buy i know of the ground control coilovers, but whats this quaife ATB? and whats atb stand for? i'm guessin something like automatic traction balance, but just a wild guess. thnx

[This message has been edited by KikoSanchez182 (edited 10-14-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts