SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to hook up a 4 channel amp to a head unit that only has one set of pre-amp outputs can you split it? If so would you split it before it went into the amp or after? I really don't use the fader so I don't think I would miss that feature. Thanks for helping out a car audio dummy :)

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I would run one set of RCAs back to the amp and then use "y" connecters to split the 2 channels into 4 channels, correct? Does it degrade the sound quality when you split it (since the signal would be weaker)?

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
some amps have a switch on them so it splits it inside. you will not notice a sound quality difference splitting the signal.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
If your not an Audio freak you wont Notice a SQ difference. But if you are, you might, because your taking one pre-out and putting that voltage(4volts max or whatever yours might be) into two different input spots. So instead of that 4volts going into one you have 2volts going into each input. That basically means that now your probably going to have to turn the gain on the amp up more to get the same volume as you would if you had one set of pre-outs going to each set of inputs.

Theres no point in having a four channel amp on your highs unless your Head Unit has front and rear pre-outs. Other wise you can just get an amp that is 2ohm stable per a channel and just bridge the two right speakers together and the two left or the two front and the two backs.
Or if all you have to work with is a 4 channel you could just run all your highs off of two 2ohm bridged channels (assuming your highs are 4ohm speakers) and then bridge the two other channels left and put a low pass filter on just those two channels for a sub(s?).

If that was really confusing Im sorry!

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
You could use line out converters since you won't be using your headunit's line level wire outputs anyways. I don't know what happens to the quality though when using the converters.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
What he said! ^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts