SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started happening just yesterday... prior to that the car was running fine minus a small vacuum leak (vacuums oscillated around 18-20). changed spark plugs (which were pretty black on the threads), didn't solve it. here's what i noticed:

- car starts when engine is cold
- when it warms up to normal operating temp, it will just cut off like u just turned the ignition to off
- trying to start it right after, the car cranks but it doesnt start up. if i leave it alone for 5-10 min, it will start up but i wont get more than a few feet until it shuts off again.
- if i let it cool off for a few hrs, i can drive it for about 10 min or until it warms up again, at which pt it shuts off again

i'm gonna prob pull the codes 2mrw, but anyone have ne ideas? this is on a w10 avenir.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Electrical problem in the ingition system. This happens to honda and acura alot. It usually is the main relay. The relay gets hot, the pins inside the relay seperate, voltage stops, engine stalls. Relays gets cool, pins close back up, car starts.

Not sure if nissans have a main relay, but check that too.

·
SR20DEviant
2,131 Posts
I had the exact same issue. I had it die on the highway a couple time snad had to wait like 20 mins for it to cool down before it would start again. It's the coil.

·
KASSANOVA!!!
2,047 Posts
my auto p10, had similar problems. car would start up fine in the morning, but won't start again after its up to temperature. mine turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor. that fixed it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
X2 on the 2 wire coolant temp sensor, you're car is flooding because the ecu is getting the wrong reading from that sensor. It's like 15 bucks. 2 WIRE.

·
SR20DEviant
2,131 Posts
I'm still leaning towards the coil bro. You can get a used coil for hardly anything. I'd swap that too if you do the sensor.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
well my car is the opposite way, when its cold and i turn the ignition on it will stay on but after a few seconds it will shut off, so i have to do this a couple of times till it finally stay on, its usually on the fourth time when the engine becomes warm that it will finally stay on, but i cant rev it that much or else it will shut off again, so basically i have to let it warm up for about 5 mins befere i can drive it. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
X2 on the 2 wire coolant temp sensor, you're car is flooding because the ecu is getting the wrong reading from that sensor. It's like 15 bucks. 2 WIRE.

well my car is the opposite way, when its cold and i turn the ignition on it will stay on but after a few seconds it will shut off, so i have to do this a couple of times till it finally stay on, its usually on the fourth time when the engine becomes warm that it will finally stay on, but i cant rev it that much or else it will shut off again, so basically i have to let it warm up for about 5 mins befere i can drive it. Any advice?

coolant temp sensors can cause both of your problems

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
swap out the dizzy forst..u can get a used avenier dist on here for -$ and then get a new ect from the dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts