SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after welding all my pipes up in a better fashon, i broke in my new clutch.

once the clutch was finished breaking in, i ran through the gears...well, at around 5500 rpms, the car looses all boost feeling and just accelerates like it was stock, but from 3.5k to 5k it pulls like a bat out of hell. i have a sneaky feeling that my bov may be leaking.

i tried upping the fuel pressure but that just made it a lot worse, leading me to believe it is running really rich. any suggestions?? TIA

·
_______
2,170 Posts
My car had a very minor boost leak - the coupler coming off the hot pipe was just a bit too big. It would hold pressure fine to a point, and then at WOT, around 5500, it would feel like it was running into the rev limiter.

I would recheck your couplers.

James

·
Registered
410 Posts
mine does the same thing too...i though that it was because i had hit full boost already.....my friends 240 does it too....it would pull until the set boost then feels kinda flat....thats how mine is...it would still be 8lb but just flat...or are people getting hard pulls after set boost....??

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
its a boost leak man i just fixed this problem on my ghetto setup im pushing somewhere between 10-12psi at arounf 5k rpm.

when i hit my set boost it holds it and still pulls. now i have my ghetto boost controller on there and DAYUM its scarry to drive cause of torque steer/bad alignment/me needing bushings but all that is coming.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys are probably right, ill check it in the morning with a pressure tester. i just noticed that my boost is falling off down to like 2 psi after 5.5k, i think its leaking at my n2o fogger.

hay Jeff, are you going to come down tomarrow for some cart racing?

·
Registered
773 Posts
yeah i think i may be having thisproblem also. i feel like my fuel cuts off after 5500 and looking at my dyno sheet i hit peak power at 5542 which s 282whp and by 6300rpm i'm only at 220whp. how do i check.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go to home depot, get a rubber end cap in the plumbing section. poke a soccer ball filler needle though and glue it in place.

take off your MAF clamp the end cap (2.5" i.d. or whatever size you need) over the end of the intake pipe and pump it up and listen for leaks.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
Will said:
hay Jeff, are you going to come down tomarrow for some cart racing?

no i had other plans sorry

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
i actually had fuel cut out with my stocker friday at 12 psi(5krpm) so i upgraded and i can go through all rpm ranges i have a boost leak from what i was messing with yesterday though i think i forgot to tighten a clamp which ill fix today.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i fixed a baby leak, but the problem persists. what the hell could cause my boost to fall off like that? help guys!!

i do have a bit of an exhaust leak, the far drivers side exhaust mani stud broke off in the head, but it started leaking a little worse lately, could an exhaust leak before the turbine cause the boost to fall off, especially as the back pressure before the turbo increased?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went through the same thing. I tried everything I could think of to fix it. I re-tightened all my piping, adjusted fuel pressure, etc... Finally found it was a clogged fuel filter. Check it out and let me know.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My car did the same thing. accellerate to 5000 and power just fell off because it lacked the fuel it needed to keep accellerating. I never looked at the boost gauge when it happened though. So I'm not sure if all boost fell off. Its worth a try to make sure your getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
hmmm i'm having the same problem up to a certain psi its fine til about 5k then it falls off no backfiring or anything or detonation if i let off the gas and ease into it it will go until 7k but only half throttle. i checked all my pipes and no leaks i tightened all my clamps up good.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
what did you end up doin will

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
did you reclock the compressor housing? maybe the wastegate it's a lill bit loose, and it's pressure through there, I have a t25 and it holds 7 psi all the way to the red line, but when I first fire her up, one of the pipes at the cold side hit me in the leg after a good sswwwooochhhh of the bov, LOL..

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
nope kit came off 1 car running killer and right on mine

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G-Unit91 said:
what did you end up doin will
If I remember correctly, this problem was caused by a crappy air filter from JGY. It was a foam one and it was so restrictive that my t28 could not pull enough air to build boost at higher RPM. as soon as I removed the filter and replaced it with my old pop charger and filter, it boosted like crazy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts