SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, Lastnight after I was done racing I popped my hood for the ride home(leaving the latch connected) to cool my engine/tranny. I noticed that my car seemed to have more pickup... I have a Weapon R WAI, could this sensation be due to the WAI getting cold air? It was an awsome feeling. I may race with the hood popped next time if I don't have my CAI by then. What do you think? Is it all mental?

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
My Page

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I guess it COULD add a few HP by keeping the engine cooler, more air is able to rush in and also feed more to the intake....but I wouldn't do it too much, I wouldn't trust that latch holding the hood at highway speeds, thats alot of air rushing in. My friend with like a 92 Dodge Shadow accidently left his hood open like that, and at about 50mph the hood flew up and smashed into his windshield, shattered it and caused a lot of damage.

Jordan

·
Registered
705 Posts
Like Jordan said, it may be that a little more air is getting to your intake, which would help. But i dont think even that would make that much of a difference. And i wouldnt trust that latch i know the kid Jordan is talking about, and iwouldnt want to see that happen to your car. leave it closed.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I plan on leaving it closed
. I just happened to leave it opened on accident last night.

G

·
0 Posts
here is an idea for you make an electronic hood scoopusing parts from junkyard those honda hearlights anyone wants to try and see if it works make sure itgets ore air to the air filter and close it whren raining

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think he's talking about the "eyelids" on older accords and ****.. like you could somehow put one on your car and press a button and have a "scoop" open up to get fresh air into your filter?

haha funny idea, but i'd do it on a car that already had pop-up headlights. would be kinda cool i guess if it actually gave you a couple more hp.. pretty ghetto though

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
hehe, what people will do to save a few bucks. Just get the CAI. Your car will thank you.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am... its on back order for a week. As soon as the bitch gets here I am slaping it on! Can't wait

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by luu00800:
here is an idea for you make an electronic hood scoopusing parts from junkyard those honda hearlights anyone wants to try and see if it works make sure itgets ore air to the air filter and close it whren raining</font>
mUAHAHAH BWHAAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA...........huh? wtf are oyu talking about?! LOL.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
The extra drag from having the hood popped will probably slow you down more than the extra power you gain. And then there's that little "hood flies off car hitting another car, causing injury, then you get sued" thing

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by luu00800:
here is an idea for you make an electronic hood scoopusing parts from junkyard those honda hearlights anyone wants to try and see if it works make sure itgets ore air to the air filter and close it whren raining</font>
Okay, this is the last time I'll mention it, but everytime I read this I laugh really hard. I just can't get over it. He was actually trying to say something.

But anyway, I have a betteridea for you make an electomagnetic superturbo beast using parts from a landfill those yugo exhaustmanifolds anyone wanna try and make sure sure it has wings for the throttle body and jack it up when there's a tornado.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
On a se-riuos note, there is something to be said for what happened. The Neon guys in SCCA showroom stock try to get away with removing the little rubber seal around the headlight cause it's supposed to add a few HP!! They also try to pull the rear hood seal to vent under hood pressure. Little things count!!!

Blair

1 - 20 of 20 Posts