SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have noticed that the car idles low when cold. It idles at around 1250, one mark below 1500. Plus whenever I run the car while cold, the car tends to sputter at around 2-2500 rpm in each gear. After I slowly speed up in the gears it goes away. When the car is warm, the sputtering is gone. Engine still runs strong.

What can be done to fix the sputter and the low idle?

Hey Dre,
E-mail me, I have a couple questions to shoot your way. Thanx!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
idling at 1250rpm is LOW?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">CruznSER asked:
What can be done to fix the sputter and the low idle?</font>
Check out Andy Radin's Tune-Up Guide - I think it's available via www.se-r.net. Our idling and warm-up systems can be a PITA to get running right, tho' not as bad as my old, mechanically fuel-injected 2002tii!

After the usual tune-up stuff (plugs, filters, timing, etc.), make sure your throttle body is nice & clean, MAF is grounded properly, TPS is adjusted, and exhaust sensor (O2 sensor) is good. Then adjust the idle speed. If all that works well, check your fuel pressure - on my car, when the regulator's going south, pressure reads higher than normal, which makes the car run rich.

On mine, I had done all this stuff - even down to R&R'ing the AIV/AAC system - but I still had cold-start issues. On a hunch, I sent the injectors out to RC Engineering and they found one had a slow leak. Once the injectors were cleaned, the car ran great cold as well as warm.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Cruzin: mine does the same thing. Please post your progress as I've run out of ideas. Thought about the injectors, but haven't had the time to do that yet.

Grailer: beautiful white car, and I love that quote. Very true.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
My Classic does the same thing when it is cold. When the car warms up it runs perfect!
I have been told that it may be some kind of heat sensor, but I don't know what that actually is. If someone can clarify this it may solve our problem!

------------------
Robert Ocasio
92 Classic
--------------
Primera swap,NOS,PR CAI,H/S Header,MSD, Custom Exhaust

My 92 Classic

G

·
Go through the SE-R.Net procedures like MAF reground, TB cleaning (actually remove it and clean it completely), and most importantly EGR-BPT tube cleaning, its often not done correctly. It's not enough to run a wire in there using carb cleaner. There is a small pinhole near where it attaches by the back of the engine that needs to be cleaned out. Disconnect the tube from the header/manifold and at the other point on the head. Rotate it around and you will see the hole on the head end of it. Use carb cleaner and a paperclip to clean it out thoroughly. If this doesn't work then check the AIV and AAC stuff. This is after you are sure your regular tune up stuff is ok like wires, plugs, cap, 02 sensor is ok.

Good Luck,
Matt Ostlund
93NX Best NX 2001 National Convention
91SE-R DET

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paNX2K&SE-R:
...most importantly EGR-BPT tube cleaning, its often not done correctly.
</font>
I'll second Matt's note. In fact, with my two SE-Rs, I found the only way to clean it was to remove it entirely from the engine and clean it while it's off.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Have you guys ever thought that your cold start selenoid might be stuck in one position might want to give that a check. Sputering when cold could be from running to rich. Also a bad Knock senser can cause this problem as well as a bad 02 senser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts