SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where i might find a carbon fiber hood for the nx2000, and how much one might cost? thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
IIRC, there is currently no company that makes carbon fiber hoods for the NX. FiberImages will make one (we do have an SE-R listmember that works for them.) However, someone will have to donate his/her stock NX hood to them for a few days (or even weeks) so they could get a mold fabricated and then make a production run. Anyone from NorCal willing to drive to SoCal with me? I could drop off my NX, and then have you drive me back up to NorCal. (This would have to be after the SF Region SCCA Solo2 season is over, though... at the end of August... heh!)

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R (Daily-driven bitch)
1993 NX2000 (egg-beating-autox bitch)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sr20 B12:
How about if someone can find a NX in a junkyard and buy the hood (should be less than $100). I know a few people that would get in on this carbon fiber hood deal if it gets started.
</font>
Would seem feasible. However, it would have to be someone in SoCal that's close enough to Fiber Images to be able to deliver it. I'm a bit too far away at about 400+ miles. I wouldn't worry about it, though. I do know someone working on trying to get a group deal, and expressed interest in donating his own NX hood to get the CF hoods made for the NX.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
there was a post on the SE-r list about them...I think it said, $475 but had something about a group deal involving 5 prepays??... I will look for it...

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G

·
have you guys actually lifted your hood up? it is light as hell, i took it off for the swap, and it weighs so much less than my friends civic hood.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by crazyNXracer:
have you guys actually lifted your hood up? it is light as hell, i took it off for the swap, and it weighs so much less than my friends civic hood.</font>
Have you actually lifted a carbon fiber hood? If made correctly, they should be much lighter than the stock hood. IIRC, the stock 200SX hood is around 25lbs, and the Fiber Images CF hood for the 200SX is roughly 10-11lbs (someone can correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't know how much the NX hood weighs, but if they are light, you know that Fiber Images will make a CF hood thats lighter. If you want to make your car lighter, the best place to take weight off would be towards the front of the car since our cars are front-heavy. A CF hood and battery relocation would bring the car closer to what the BMW M3, Honda S2000, and Mazda Miata already have to make them some of the best handling cars: 50/50 weight distribution. Carbon fiber is also a very hard/strong substance, and don't forget the aesthetic appeal of carbon fiber (for some, that is.) You should check out the videos on the Fiber Images website showing them driving a car over one of their hoods, dropping a wheel/tire on it, and someone jumping on it, and it still retains its shape. That's how a carbon fiber hood should be made.

--Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
1993 NX2000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts