SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after 724 miles I decided to add to my Team Tool book of mistakes. Doing a highway pull after programing my boost controller, I decided to shift from 8000rpm in third back into second. Woops

This was with Greddy valve springs and RAS.

Well pulled apart the valve train, I have 2 broken rocker arms, 5 popped off. Both cams are nicked and dinged up, with chunks missing from a couple lobes.

One interesting thing is the two broken rocker arms both came from the intake side. The other three came off the exhaust.

Sometime this week I will put it back together and compression test it to see how much I ****ed up. I am praying that I didnt bend a valve.

I hope I can get it runnning for the convention.

:( :( :( :( :(

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Are you still going to run the RAS's?

C

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Damn that sucks Russ. :( I hope the repair isn't too involved.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Should be fine. This time, throw those rocker arm stoppers in the trashola...

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
man whats with all you monkeys blowing up motors this weekend?

Im staying aeay from mine for at least a week or 2 just in case theres some kind of SR20 herpes goin around or somethin....

youll be fine Russ.... Thats whats nice about a fully built motor it can usually take pretty good whoopins and come right back.... take your time and get everything fixed and go from there.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am gonna throw a set of stock cams in this week and pressure test the SOB and go from there. If it leaks there is a good chance that the cam will not be at the convention.

BOOOOO for mis-shifts!!!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
This was with Greddy valve springs and RAS.

Well pulled apart the valve train, I have 2 broken rocker arms, 5 popped off. :( :( :( :( :(
:eek2:

did the RAS's fricken cause that $hit?....is it datalogged?....

...wow..8k in 3rd.into 2nd...OUCH...I'd rather lose a fingernail....what speed were you doin?..

...that's the reason I cut my shifter so short......I hit first instead of 3rd, the beeyotch bucked so bad the starter didn't squeal for a few weeks....

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
That's what I thought. Why'd you run the damn things in the first place, especially after all the negative posts about them?

C

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Dyslexia would have made you type rac or something.

Cam, that's just idiocy... :D

And no, Jose's not going... Pussy...

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
I dont care to spend money hanging around a bunch of engine destroying monkeys. That **** may be contagious like the herpes.

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Holy crap! Well if you want to save yourself an extra cam install.. I would just remove the cams and do a leakdown test. If the cylinders don't hold any pressure then you'll know right off. Or you might know just by looking at the spring/valve heights.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I am gonna check the valve heights. I need to reshim 5 sets of valve. If for some reason the original shims do not work, I will know right awat. The comp. test will be the second test.

I do not have a leak down tester.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...

Since I cant find my other set of rocker arms. I decided to a make shift pressure test.

I installed the cams, no rockers. Pulled all the plugs and turned the engine over by hand, using the cam bolts and a wrench.

I built around 30psi on all cylinders with one quick upstroke of the piston.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Just connect the compressor the to compression tester and listen for massive leakage...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts