SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I finally saved just enough to get me a BB det and JWT ecu and the misc. stuff, But not enough to get me a 3' cat back( for at least 2months). So whats a cheap way to go about this? is it safe to just drive around with a 3' downpipe and no exhaust ? (keep in mind I'm just trying to go with the cheapest method for a month or two till I gather up my finances for a good setup)
Thanks,
Nick

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
If you can handle being slow, Just hook it up to your stock exhaust and run stock boost. If you need the power, open DP will not hurt you, It will just sound like ass.

-Kris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I use my stock exhaust wouldn't that mean I have to fabricate a small (2.25'??) downpipe? and if so how much would that run me? and if I ran with just a downpipe(3') and no exhaust would that affect the performance since there wouldnt be any backpressure?(or does that only apply to NA cars?) I dont plan on driving the car much so noise isn't too much of a concern to me.
Sorry for the stupid questions...I just a rookie to the turbo world.
Nick

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Nah, you can use whatever size exhaust with whatever size downpipe. The downpipe just goes from the turbo to the cat. The exhaust is everything after the cat. You could make a 4" downpipe and 1" exhaust, not that it'd flow well but you could. As long as they both bolt up to the cat it's all good.

N

·
0 Posts
You can drive around with the stock cat-back,
it's not really good for the engine but if
you leave the boost down and not keep on it
for long (ie 30 sec. runs) you should be okay
till you get some bigger pipe. I had run
like that for many months before getting
my 3" cat-back.

You might give Chris at SR20DEvelopment a call:
619-69-TURBO He made me a 3" mandrel bend
cat-back w/ Magnaflow muffler but the first
one was made crush bend by mistake. He's trying
to sell it if you or any other turbo eggs are interested.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay so is there any way to hook up a 3' downpipe to the stock cat? I'm asking because I dont want to buy another downpipe when Im ready to upgrade to a 3' catback.
Thanks for all your advise guys,
Nick

N

·
0 Posts
Well, we didn't have a flange when I had my
2.5" downpipe made so it was welded directly
to the cat, you could go that way with a 3"
downpipe too but it is kind of ghetto.

Now my cat-back has this 3" 2 bolt flange that bolts right up to the stock cat. I don't know where Chris found it but I think you can get one here:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/flangesandgaskets.htm

Better measure the bolt spacing to make sure though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I now have a pretty good idea of what Im gonna be doing. Thanks everybody for the great advise I jus don't know what I would do with out you guys. :)
Thanks again,
Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts