SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sheabird:
now before...my car had custom 2.25" piping into a straight through muffler...It had that continuous back-firing sound when i let off the gas...it just was bad...I also have HS headers and pop charger...I have no clue why it did this, but I ended up adding a cat and putting a stock muffler back on to get rid of it.
</font>
You probably could have kept the 2.25" setup you had on the car, added the cat, then put a resonator right after the cat where the original resonator was located on your stock piping. I used a 25" Thrush glasspack (20" canister). Remember, there are no significant gains from removing the cat on the SR20's. And the OEM cat is already a decently freeflowing cat.

If you have it available, read the article in the November issue of SCC. Mike Kojima wrote a great article on custom exhausts.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've got the HKS exhaust, and I love it!! Nobody even realizes I have an aftermarket exhaust. It has a nice mellow tone that doesn't drone or bust your eardrums at any rpm, and it has a subtle ~3.5" tip.

SCC's project car showed decent power gains with it. It is all around a very good exhaust. A little pricey, though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a gutted cat with a 2.5 inch pipe through it and I noticed better throttle response. But don't just gut your cat have a pipe welded in through it to maintain an efficient exhaust flow.**not legal**

------------------
92'XE/w-Primera swap
sleepr w/N20

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tommy:
I've got the HKS exhaust, and I love it!! Nobody even realizes I have an aftermarket exhaust. It has a nice mellow tone that doesn't drone or bust your eardrums at any rpm, and it has a subtle ~3.5" tip.

</font>
tommy, your car has a riceboy tip man, 8" is a little bigger than your claimed 3.5"

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah, Tommy.. dont be lieing. I saw that tip Saturday at the Huffines Park meet, its freakin huge! i bet you've got rodents hibernating in there

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, N2K brakes, 91 intake cam, SMC Short Shifter, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am looking to get a cat-back for my classic and was wondering what sounded the best(deep and quiet, no fart can sound please
) while yeilding a decent gain also

now before...my car had custom 2.25" piping into a straight through muffler...It had that continuous back-firing sound when i let off the gas...it just was bad...I also have HS headers and pop charger...I have no clue why it did this, but I ended up adding a cat and putting a stock muffler back on to get rid of it.

Anyone have advice for me? will my car be straight with a nice cat-back and maybe a test pipe? lates. too bad I dropped over $400 for the cat and stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts