SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 OBD-II SR20 and I may need to replace my catalytic convertor...I called around a few muffler shops and they are telling me that I need to get one from the dealer, because an aftermarket one wont be compliant! Is that because its not compliant spec-wise and give me an error code, or they are not guaranteed to work and may/may not give me a code? I am going to take a look at the cat when I install my ebay short shifter, and see if its messed up or not. My car has been really sluggish lately, and overheating a little in long trips in stop and go traffic we have here in LA....a couple gearmonkeys I know say its probably my cat. I dont want to have to go to the dealer to get a stock part, if I can get a low flow or mangaflow part for cheaper...help!

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called magnaflow technical support, and they said no way for a california car, but that is the one that I wanted.....still looking....

·
Registered
287 Posts
There are all sorts of federal laws regarding CATs, most shops won't take a chance on replacing CATs w/ aftermarket stuff because they can actually get criminal charges against them. Find a criminal shop or find an acceptable CAT.

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, its either the stocky from nissan for 450 or the magnaflow for 110....im sure it will work, and any shop will put it on for me if you give them money....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts