SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the Central Divisionals this weekend at Grissom AFB in Indiana. I have recently purchased Hoo$ier$, so I was looking forward to seeing how they felt on concrete. I was going to treat this weekend as a test and tune for Nationals (since Topeka is concrete, too). Unfortunately, the fastest DSP car on the planet was there (Steve Hoelscher's Fiat X 1/9) as well as the guy who finished 3rd last year (Brian Flanagan in a BMW 325is). So much for some leasurely runs to get a feel for the tires.

The courses were fairly fast -- Sunday's course was just a variation of Saturday and was even faster! Top of 2nd gear with some sections that tested whether you had the balls to to flat-out or lift just a little (and totally ignore the brakes).

My first run Saturday was kind of slow -- getting a feel for the Hoosiers, plus I hit a cone. My next run was about two seconds faster -- 62.8 -- but I hit a cone. On my last run, I screwed up a 180 big time by going in too hot, and I ended up with a 63.0. I'm guessing I lost about a second, but at least the run was clean. Hoelscher was 2.4 in front of me, Flanagan in 2nd 1.6 seconds in front of me. Flanagan also had a raw time that was almost equal to Hoelscher.

The Hoosiers really grip, so I set the rear sway bar on its stiffest setting Saturday night hoping to get the rear end a little looser.

Based on the 1st heat runs Sunday, it looked like the course was 6-7 seconds faster than Saturday. I was guessing that the top DSP time would be in the 55's.

Hoelscher and Flanagan immediately were in the 55s, and I had a 57.1. The car felt better with the sway bar change, and I knew I could go faster. I got a 56.2 on my second run while Hoelscher and Flanagan lowered their times, but they were still in the 55s.

My last run, I again screwed up a 180, but not as bad as Saturday -- probably worth a half second. The time was still faster, though -- 56.0. Meanwhile, Flanagan got a 54.9 and Hoelscher coned and was left with a best of 55.5. Hoelscher stayed in front overall, though.

Now come my excuses (other than the screw ups and running on Hoosiers for the first time). My freaking car hates me!! I think it's angry at me for autocrossing a Camaro last season and most of this season. Before Saturday's runs, I noticed a clunking coming from the front end. It turned out the bearing (the upper pillow ball thingie or whatever it's called) in the driver's-side camber plate was loose, i.e. it's broken!
And then my transmission started dripping tranny fluid after my first runs Saturday. And then before Sunday's runs, I noticed the valve stem on the left-front wheel was leaking. This all goes along with the shock problems I've been having on the front!

The camber plate problem stayed with me the whole weekend, but luckily, the transmission was only leaking because about four bolts had come loose on the bottom. I was able to get the valve stem repaired on-site by Mid-Atlantic Motorsports before Sunday's runs. But still, this is getting annoying.

I already have camber plates for my raSEcaR, so I guess I will be donating parts for the autocross car for the time being.

Anyway, next week is an SCCA Pro Solo at the same site. Hopefully things go better with the car and during competition.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Its about time you joined us Larry. Welcome.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
Its about time you joined us Larry. Welcome.
</font>
Yeah, I guess I'm a little slow at this new technology stuff.

Besides, I was getting bored on lunch at work again.

You coming to Nat's, Eric?

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I have no where near a National car, and I'm not a National level driver either. Good luck though. I would have to run in DSP or STS. All my avaliable SE-Rs are modded.

·
202 Posts
Nah, your car just needs a better mechanic. =)

-Larry
not commenting on my own performance last weekend...

Originally posted by slowSER:

Now come my excuses (other than the screw ups and running on Hoosiers for the first time). My freaking car hates me!! ....
And then my transmission started dripping tranny fluid after my first runs Saturday.

·
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eric96ser:
I have no where near a National car, and I'm not a National level driver either. Good luck though. I would have to run in DSP or STS. All my avaliable SE-Rs are modded.</font>
Neither of which are required to run nationals. All you have to be able to do is have fun. That's it.

It's worth the trip.

-LM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts