SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my friend Nismoser just changed my oil the other night and we found that the sr20de calls for 3 quarts of oil when changing the oil filter. Ok, no problem, thats what the manual calls for so thats what it will take. Well, once we started to drain the oil in there, it drained out almost 4 and a half quarts from my last oil change. I got it done at kmart last time and they changed the filter as well. My question is.....isnt it bad to have too much oil in the engine like that. Especially as much as a quart and a half more then called for?? What is the sr20s capacity anyway?? Well, let me know your thoughts on this one, cuz tahts the last time i take my car to kmart for an oil change. On a side note, my car does seem to be running better and a little bit more freely revving then before.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The engine takes 3 5/8 quarts (w/filter) and you'd be better off being a quart low than a quart over- I'm sort of surprised you didn't grenade anything. I bet it is revving a bit quicker now!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well another shineing example why not to let anyone touch your car.

Running a bit over isnt horrible wont hurt a thing, but running a quart over is bad. One thing is it raises your oil pressure a bit and can cause exessive blow by on the rings and other places. Then it will sap power since more than likely the crank may actualy be touching the oil and getting slowed down in it, plus churning it into a froth which is bad.

What i do and most people here is pour in 3 quarts then take and put in a hair over half the next quart. Drive around check it a little later after its cooled a tad and see if you need to add any. Some go ahead and pour in 4 and not worry, but im picky.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Yeah, I use to pour in 3 5/8 of a quart and be done with it. Now that I have a turbo now though, I just dump 4 straight to take into account the volume of the oil line and turbo (which isn't 3/8th of a quart, but that's alright). If you go to a road course, I'd say to put in 4 quarts to help prevent oil starvation while cornering.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Thank God taht nothing happened to my engine at all. Stupid kmart.....Thats the last time i ever bring my car there for anything, let a lone an oil change. :mad:

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
Bowlcut said:
One thing is it raises your oil pressure a bit and can cause exessive blow by on the rings and other places.

Hmm, could this be why my compression rating is EXTREMLY BAD, last time oil was put in my car, my dad didnt know i had just put 3quarts in, and i asked him to do it the day before...then i did it and forgot to tell him so there was a bout an INCH over the H mark on the dipstick, i didnt realize this till i checked it a few days later..my car was running really crappy, sitll is..and a compression test camne back with horrible results, could it have been the oil that fried my piston rings?

·
jo mom
502 Posts
NismoNx2000 said:
Well, Thank God taht nothing happened to my engine at all. Stupid kmart.....Thats the last time i ever bring my car there for anything, let a lone an oil change. :mad:
i check my oil level once a week.. last time with a new filter i dumped in 3.5 quarts and it's over the high mark..?? anyway when i ran mobil 1 my car seemed to burn it.. so i quit that crap and use valvo max life.. just petro but conditions seals. my car seems to love it and consumption is hardly noticable... in theory it should up compression too..

back to amounts.. i know a few guys who just dump 4 quarts in.. probably what most insta changes do too. i would think too much could cause leaks..

·
Registered
116 Posts
lance said:
The engine takes 3 5/8 quarts (w/filter) and you'd be better off being a quart low than a quart over- I'm sort of surprised you didn't grenade anything. I bet it is revving a bit quicker now!
Running an SR20de a quart low is the quickest way to spin a bearing. It is better to keep it at the H mark or a little over.

Lee

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually was putting in 3.5 quarts myself, then i changed the oil with the front end jacked up and an extra quart came out. Anyone else notice this?? The oil also was a LOT cleaner on the dipstick after i changed it jacking up the front.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
nx2kracer said:

Running an SR20de a quart low is the quickest way to spin a bearing. It is better to keep it at the H mark or a little over.

Lee
ISNT THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
GOOD BYE BEARING......................HELLO PRIMERA :D :cool:

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
High oil pressure from overfilling? The oil pump has a pressure relief that dumps oil when it reaches a certain pressure. The only way to make your oil pressure too high would be to run a really thick oil. What might happen if you put to much oil in your car is, that the crankshaft counterweights may start running into the oil. (Fill your bathtub up with water and turn running your hand through it at 7000rpms) When the counterweight hits the oil it trys to slow the crank down, plus it causes a bunch of sideloads on the bearings(not good). Now that I thinking about it, if the oil level reached the oil relief orifice it might restrict the flow enough to raise pressure. hmmmmmm........ Anyways don't do it(overfill). BTW I use 4-quarts with a filter, but mine is burning a little.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
me too, 4 quarts of havoline 5w30 and a genuine nissan filter, and i'm straight. i've never seen my car burn oil, i check it regularly, and always keep an eye out my rearview to look for smoke...never seen it burn oil, which is a good sign i guess..

TurboClassic, dude, that sucks about your engine. it runs crappy, yes?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
4 quarts wont hurt a bit, ive seen many people do it. im just extreamly picky. plus not really racing or even pushing the car that hard i never see enough g's to slosh the oil out away from the pickup i think. and if you do jack up the front and get extra oil out you will endup needing more as expected. but there is usualy a cup to 2 in the oil pan when you drain it close to flat. hell we had greg's car about 3 feet in the air (at the bumper) when we pulled everything the other weekend. i droped his oil pan to find that half quart or so still in the pan. so even jacking it up that high still wont get everything out of the pan. you would think they could design the pan a little better or something.

·
Registered
803 Posts
4 quarts is probably perfect since we all burn oil when we drive. Especially since I rev the piss out of the motor when I drive it.

·
8,148 Posts
Damn some of you are anal. I just throw in 4 quarts. I throw in 5 quarts in the Maxima.
I see smoke. When I floor it at a light and redline it sometimes I see some grey smoke. Not all the time. Grey smoke is normal to me. It happens to everycar when revved quickly. Never white or black. Not running rich. Only when I rev the piss out of it I lose maybe 1/2 quart at 2000-2500K.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts