SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just changed my timing chain tensioner today. After install I turned the engine with a 27mm socket at the crank pulley. Thought I heard the click of the tensioner being released however when I started it something is definitely off as it barely runs with gas pedal Applied as soon I let off it dies. What did I do wrong and what do I need to do to fix it. Its a 98 200 sx se-r all stock. Please any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not that anyone was really interested in my idiotic mistake so far. But I figure I would send a cautionary note out there for people doing their TCT themselves as I tried to do. Don't try and shortcut this job and take the time to remove your valve cover and secure the timing chain to the sprockets! I failed at this part due to being in a hurry and when I was attempting to prime the tensioner I turned it too much by hand and the chain of course jumped teeth and I bent a valve in cylinder #1 and only had 25psi compression after all was said and done. In the shop now getting a new head, head gasket and other related items totalling 1500$ and 1.5 weeks without my car. My fault. Hard lesson learned. Maybe getting charged too much but at thos point I don't even care about the details. I need my car back and dont have time to be having towed all over getting more/cheaper quotes its just not something I can do. Just a hard lesson hopefully this will nudge someone towards taking their time and not doing as I did. I thought i could handle it and could have if I werent trying to rush important stuff.?? Beating myself up so please don't feel the need to tell me what I have been telling myself all day it was stupid I realize. Good luck DIY folks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts