SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I know how to do the change. I have trouble getting the damn thing off. Those hoses are like glued onto the filter.

Oh and is there any reason to use an OEM one like with the oil filter? Any one else had a stubborn ff? How'd you conquer it? thanks Bennitto

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
513 Posts
The way I do it is to use some needle-nose pliers. Position them so that you are using them to push against the end of each tube to slide them off. I couldn't get them off of there for the life of me, but once I tried this, they came off without a hitch. I believe that there is less chance of damaging your hoses.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bennitto Mallito:
OK so I know how to do the change. I have trouble getting the damn thing off. Those hoses are like glued onto the filter.

Oh and is there any reason to use an OEM one like with the oil filter? Any one else had a stubborn ff? How'd you conquer it? thanks Bennitto

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 06-01-2001).]
</font>
I think my 91 had the original filter at 147,000 miles (Nissan and "glued on". I got it off by holding the filter, and twisting the hose w pliers. I trimmed the ends w snips as there was extra room. I tried blowing thru the old filter w lung power and it was clogged nearly solid.

Dan

·
Registered
705 Posts
I couldnt get mine off either. I Just cut the hoses off right by the tubes on the filter. There is enough slack there to be able to do that maybe 3 times, LOL, but after that i guess you will have to get some new fuel lines

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just tried mine for the first time tonight. Hoses are all the way against the filter and stuck. Tried twisting tonight. Guess I'll try the needle-nose technique tomorrow.

Anyone else with suggestions?

CB

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
The filter sits in a bracket, and it's all right to slide the filter out of it for a little more slack. It took me a minute to realize this.

You might wind up just crushing or tearing the ends of the filter, and then removing the pieces lodged in the hoses. The hoses on my car were on so tight that I ripped the top nub of the filter off in the process (cheap plastic-top Fram piece).

Once you get one hose off, life becomes much easier. Be prepared to have get large volumes of gas all over everything. Keep many rags and paper towels handy.

Better yet, forget what I've said and just buy a new car. It's much less of a hassle.

·
Registered
858 Posts
yup, pull fuel pump fuse, crank engine, then twist and pull lines after loosening and they come off pretty easy.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you really don't want to spend two hours trying to get that hose off you can just use a blade and cut it off and go to an auto parts store and buy a new fuel hose for only a dollar a foot. Which in actuality you only need about 5 or 6"'s for it. That is probably the easiest way in doing. I did it that way because mine ended up breaking because of the hard time I had last time tring to take it off. It happened because of all the twisting and pulling on it. So if you can't get it off too easy and you feel that you are twisting it too much then cut it and pay that dollar for a new one.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you got gas everywhere

But seriously if that's what happens why doesn't it happen to everyone hwne they change the ff?

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 06-04-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts