SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this will be the first oil change for the g20 since i've owned it and was wondering what is the recommended oil weight? also, i'm thinking about using redline? any suggestions? thanks.

------------------
Jon
'95 Infiniti G20t
Stillen intake, HS header, custom exhaust, A'PEXi Dunk muffler, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've always used Castrol 10w30 every 3,000 miles. Works great for me.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
same for me...ive always heard unless your car see's the redline MULTIPLE times a day you dont really need synthectic. mine only sees redline about once a day to keep the sludge away. and i like to keep the clatter away...nothing scientific about it. in inferred that almost everyone with sythectic in their cars have clatter, those with dyno oil usualy dont have clatter. but clatter isnt anything bad. lol god if my car made anymore noise at startup i would go deaf

G

·
0 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and have had very good results with it(especially on start-up; it goes below zero many nights here!). I tried dino oil too, but I'd rather pay extra to extend the mileage between changes, and have piece of mind that I have synthetic oil in there. Redline is excellent oil, so either that or Mobil 1 will serve you well. BTW, I use a K&N oil filter, too

G

·
0 Posts
Mobil 1 5W30 and Nissan oil filter EVERY 3000 miles. no exception. Ohh and she DOES see redline a few times a day!

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
I use AMS Oil 20w-50 in my car.

Richie Soliven

SR20DET Power, HKS EVC EZ( installed), HKS TURBO TIMER( installed), JWT ECU , Greddy catback exhaust, 3 in ATR Race Cat, 3 in downpipe,300zxTT fuel pump HKS plugs,Magnecor wires, SSR rims 18x7.5,relocated battary to the trunk, AGX'S struts and Ground Controls

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30.
synthetic prolongs the life of your engine by decreasing internal engine friction. Synthetic is not recommended for engines with less than 50,000 miles. Standard oil (non-synthetic)is best for new engine break-ins. Synthetic oil can corrode rubber seals and gaskets. I also use a K&N oil filter.
I use Mobil 1 ATF, These two combinations have been the answer to some unexplained problems my engine and trans were having. My engine would some times idle ruff in drive with my foot on the break , say at stop signs or such. That has now ceaseed. My trans after very quik stops would have trouble keeping up with acceleration after quick stops. My trans would bang into drive, like the trans was going or failing. this has also ceased.

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 01-25-2001).]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can't argue with results- Castrol every 3K and my engine has 173,000 miles on it, uses absolutely no oil between changes, sees 6,500 rpm on a regular basis (rarely sees above 7K), and does not have excessive clatter at startup. I also use Mobil1 in the trans, Fram oil filters, and a K&N air filter. As for synthetic oil, it's not the viscosity breakdown I worry about, it's the contaminants- synthectic oil gets just as dirty as regular oil.

G

·
0 Posts
True...But synthetic oil can "handle" the contaminants better than a dino oil in that the contaminants won't effect oil performance(i.e.viscosity)like a "dirty" dino oil will....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys.. i picked up a case of mobil 1 last night. i just need to know how many quarts to use.
the previous owner lost the manual. doh!

Jon

·
Registered
466 Posts
Use 4 qts and be happy.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Hey engine clatter is related to updating your timing chain tensioner. I would change the tensioner if your experiencing the clatter thing. Nissan has redesigned the part, to reduce this. I believe its 3 and 5/8 quarts that you will need or use while changing your oil. also try www.nissanparts.cc for your oem nissan parts. The best prices I've found yet.

Nigel
95G20t/AUTO

[This message has been edited by paradyme (edited 01-25-2001).]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nigel- Good answer. 3 5/8 quarts is the correct oil capacity. Regarding the engine clatter, I believe we're discussing two different things. Up here in the Great White North (-2 degrees this morning) the valves will clatter in the morning until the oil has warmed-up a bit. The chain tensioner is a valid issue (I've changed mine three times- what a pain in the ass, especially if you have antilock brakes) but not what we're referring to in this case.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea clatter isnt always directly related to the tensioner. the tensioner will affect the "loose change" sound that you may get over on that side of the engine. but clatter is mainly related to the lifters. best guess so far is that the hydrolic lifter "bleed down"/loose their fluid over night and takes a second or two to "pump back up". i've only heard it once from my car. directly after i changed the oil once. i just put the fresh in, and when i started it up to check for leaks and level the engine clattered. scared the **** out of me at first then i realized what it was. first time i ever heard it and only time, i run 5w-30 castrol gtx.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine clatters regularly in the morning or after long stops. Just lasts a second, but it bugs the **** out of me
. I use Castrol 5W-30 and OEM filters every 3K miles. My 2000 SE has 11,000 miles on it, and it's done this since new. I've posted this on numerous boards, and I've been told it's normal and not to worry about it. True?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Lance, Mobil 1 is not good for the tranny. Its GL-5 fluid, and our cars need GL-4. I would change it and put Redline in. The GL-5 eats the brass that out syncros are made of.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts