SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing a LOT of SES lights since my return to NA and the stock ECU in my 98 SE. Hopefully some of the info I'm about to present can be helpful to someone else.

1. First code I got was for the crankshaft position sensor- the one that is on the bellhousing of the tranny. Found out after much trying to get a multimeter to the harness that the sensor was busted up inside the bellhousing. Since I had the SES light on since last November when I put the JWT ECU in the 98 car (always will get the rear O2 sensor code unless you swap out the rear O2 for an earlier one of course), I never checked the codes to see if I was getting more of them. This most likely happened when I blew up my JWT clutch last February and never noticed. Replaced it and code was gone.

2. Immediately after I fixed that code, I got *3* of them the next morning. Front AND rear O2 sensor heaters and EGR function. This was due to the number 15 10A fuse was blown under the dash. This is "Engine Cont 2." I assume I did that when I re-shortened my front O2 sensor wires and monkeyed the wiring initially. 2/3 of those codes are now gone and I thought the EGR sensor would be on the same circuit but I guess not...

3. Tonight after driving for nearly 24 hours for the first time in nearly a year with no yellow SES light on, it came on again while I was letting the car idle for a few minutes. I got the EGR function code again (0302) and also the EVAP canister system code (0111). I found two vacuum lines that were not connected related to the EGR system. I never noticed/cared about them before because my EGR was disabled in the JWT ECU I had and the thick EGR tube from the header to the EGR area was not connected for a long time since there wasn't a hole for it in the Bluebird turbo manifold. I connected those two and after 10 minutes or so of idling and revving in the garage, I got no codes. BUT I was never able to feel the EGR solenoid move at all no matter what I did and how I revved. Guess I will see tomorrow by driving it what happens.

Ben
awaiting the return of the NX so I can update my now non-functional sig (due to laf.cioe.com finally being turned off last week)

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I've had some problems with my SES light on my 98 SE as well.

I cleaned out the throttle body and put in new NGK plats one day. About a week later the SES light came on en route to the track. I was scared cause I thought something was wrong.

Never got a chance to check the code, it went away about 5 days later. One thing I can suggest though is to put a piece of black electrical tape over the light if it annoys you

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after a few days of no SES lights, I just got one on my way back from lunch. Pulled the code (am a pro at that now) and it was 0302 again, EGR. Only one code though!
I will continune with the Haynes EGR troubleshooting procedure. I hope my EGR solenoid didn't stop working from nearly a year a non-use. It does freely move up and down by hand though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts