SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this problem started about two days ago. When I turn left, I can hear this almost metal/rubbing noise. It's really hard to explain. Occasionally it will continue for a brief second once I'm going straight again. This ONLY happens when I turn left. I find that very odd. Does anyone have a clue, or have had this happen before?

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
Bone Stock

G

·
i had a 93 mazda 323 that did something to that extent. it was the axels, i had to get new ones... it was too damn expensive (theres nothing for those cars)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Mine has the same thing. Mine is more of a thunk thunk thunk when turning left. I first thought it was the splash guard that is totaly destroyed now rubbing on the tire. But I fear its the axle. Gota take my splash guard off and make sure. I always thought the cv joint clicked, not thunked. Oh well

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told the CV joint makes a ticking noise. Is this incorrect?

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
Bone Stock

G

·
Well it kinda depends on the extent of the wear. Most of the time it's a clicking sound. But sometimes it can clunk. Thing to check for: torn inner or outer cv boots, anything rubbing while you are turning, and wheel bearings. Wheel bearings when worn tend to make a "clunk" when a lateral load is applied. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
858 Posts
wheel bearing. check with a mechanic but you have to get those bearings pressed in with a hydraulic press at a shop any way unless you have one.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Damn you...hate that you mentioned that...I never thought about wheel bearings. ****. Guess time to jack up the car and see what it is. The boots on mine look "ok", little old and wearing but nothing tore. Crap guess this means could be a mechanic visit...I hate mechanics.

·
8300RPM sure is fun
1,234 Posts
kind of a clunking noise? it's your cv joints. while you're in there do the bearings and get new joints, i'm thinking around 200 for the whole thing (forgot already). when i bought my se-r that was basically the first mechanical thing i had done (left one was clunking like crazy).

------------------
no pretty logo anymore. tripod deleted my account.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
a cv joint will pop alot too, it will kind of purr when you go around a corner kind of fast. check for grease inside your wheel well, if there is grease thrown around, that is what it probably is. it also could be a strut bearing, wheel bearing, tie rod, ball joint, ect, ect, ect. have someone sit in your car and have them turn your wheel around to see if it will do it, if it will, track down the problem and replace.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hey kpw97, you should update us when you figure out what the problem is. Sounds like it could be a few different things and I'd like to know the final solution.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, I will definitely update everyone. I'm dying to know what it is myself. I'm gonna try the having someone sit on my hood trick first. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to jack it up and take a good look. Last resort is to go to the mechanic. I hate going there though. I really don't trust strange people with my car

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing (Finally!)

G

·
I have a 91 SE-R and i had the same problem. I thought that it was just a cv joint, but it wasn't. I had the 5th gear pop out problem as well, and when i had the tranny rebuilt it went away and no cv's were replaced. But i still don't know exatctly what it was. If its not a cv it may be time for a rebuild.

------------------
91 Sentra SE-R. Stillen Header and intake. Lightened Flywheel with Centerforce clutch Greedy Exhaust. Tokico Struts, Eibach 1.5 drop springs, Energy Suspension Polyurthane bushings, Suspension Tech. sway bars, Stillen upper strutbar.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a thorough search of the se-r.net archives, I'm convinced it's my wheel bearing. I'm ordering one from courtesy and I'll let you guys know how it works out.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing (Finally!)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, being the lazy person I am, it took awhile for me to get to taking care of this problem. Especially since the noise comes and goes. So, I finally realized that this noise is coming from the rear wheel, not the front, I was just not paying enough attention

So, I had ordered a new set of rear brakes back when I got the bearing from courtesy. I went to install these last saturday. I think that is the first time the rear brakes have been touched during my car's 106k mile life. The pads did not want to come out. But the biggest surprise was the fact that the pistons would not compress!!

I actually had to use a wrench to rotate them as i used a c-clamp to compress them. What a PITA! It took 3x as long as they should have.

Anyways, I think this may have been my problem all along. The brakes were on their last leg, and the pistons were practically frozen until I gave them a little motivation

So far, no noise on corners
Lesson learned, allways try the easy and cheaper stuff first.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL now i gota ask...did you take off the cap to the master cylinder? Cause Im guessing you didnt. Cause I know on my friends 'stang we twisted for an hour trying to compress the cylinder it finaly did tho. Then on my car eric remembered to remove the cap and boom they went just fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
LOL now i gota ask...did you take off the cap to the master cylinder?</font>
You know, I almost did forget. We thought that was the problem at first. But, they were still rock solid after I removed it. It was wierd, once I started twisting them, they started to slide in pretty smoothly. Anyone heard of this before?

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea....they are susposed to do that. There is a reason why there is two little holes in the piston. They dont just slide, they turn. You HAVE to turn them to compress them. They werent seezed. they are like that. You probaly just really needed brakes why you had the clatter, or maybe didnt have a wheel totaly tight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Yea....they are susposed to do that. There is a reason why there is two little holes in the piston. They dont just slide, they turn. You HAVE to turn them to compress them. They werent seezed. they are like that. You probaly just really needed brakes why you had the clatter, or maybe didnt have a wheel totaly tight.</font>
Is that common for rear brakes? When I did my fronts, they compressed without a problem. I had assumed the rears would be the same.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts