SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light came on today after driving about 20 minutes.

I sprayed the heat shield bolts with PB Blaster last night, in preparation for my header install next weekend. I probably got some on the O2 sensor fitting. Is this the problem? I know that the check engine light is linked to emissions stuff, I just need to know if I should take it to the dealer or a mechanic to get it checked out.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I do that?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think b13/b14's ecu's are in the same place.. which is to the right of the pedals on the floorboard. There are 2 nuts holding it on. Take a 10mm and unbolt it, pull it out of the slots holding it in. Then flip it around to the back, and you'll see a slotted circle deal that will probably have a piece of plastic over it. Turn your key to the "on" position, and then stick a flathead screwdriver into the slotted part, and turn clockwise until it stops, hold it there for a few seconds, turn it back. This should make your check engine light go off, and then start blinking. The first set of blinks will be short, count those, the next set will be fast, count those. After all the codes are flashed, turn the slot back around for a few seconds, turn it back. Then let us know what the blinks are. I think that should do it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
i dont think its a prob, i cleaned off my engine with some stuff and had the same problem with the check engine, if you dont want to bother checking the codes just disconnect the negative charge from your battery for 12 hours, and the ecu will be reset.

·
Registered
756 Posts
WhiteSER20 said:
i dont think its a prob, i cleaned off my engine with some stuff and had the same problem with the check engine, if you dont want to bother checking the codes just disconnect the negative charge from your battery for 12 hours, and the ecu will be reset.
The whole point of the check engine light is to let you know of a problem. Be it big or small, thats not the point. It takes less than 5 minutes to pull the codes off the ecu. Once you figure out the problem, fix it, then you can reset the computer to clear the code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts