SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, if anyone wants to help me change a CV boot.. I would appreciate it. I have never done it before, and I know it's a grueling process. Just PM me with details if you wanna (not that anyone would).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Why don't you just buy a whole new half shaft. Trade your bad one for it, and your golden. It's fairly straight forward/ easy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
yeah man, thats what i did. i took mine in to a shop and let them do it though. $40 labor. i hear its a really dirty job

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like such a n00b, but where would I get one, and then how would I install it? I don't even know what a half-shaft is :(.

·
s13 frankenstein
3,483 Posts
u can go to any autoparts store (autozone, etc). I paid 100 for a new half shaft. And a half shaft is just the "axle" up front. Its called a half shaft because its only half, since its goes into the tranny, thus its kinda like half a complete shaft, lol, i dunno how else to explain it. Just tell tehm you need a new cv joint, they'll know what your talking about too probably.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I get it, it connects to the tranny and then to the hub... right? Okay so this comes with a new CV boot and everything? Because I don't need a new joint, just the boot. And when I think about it... what's gonna be so much easier with this?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes just get this. It comes with the new cv boot, joint, etc. Just pull the old one out, and put this in it's place. It's fairly easy for sure.

·
natural81
482 Posts
dam 100 bucks compared to 25. i would just replace the boot its not that bad at all. i had to replace all four of my boots. how far you live from the city?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm in lombard. It's like 20 miles West, I think. I'm planning on doing this next weekend because thats when my paycheck will arrive. I would like someone to help me, I'm going to try and get a hold of this other kid I know from Lombard, but that's not promising. If anybody wants to help please let me know -- if Easter is a problem, I can postpone to the following weekend.

·
natural81
482 Posts
yeah i would love to help. but thats easter (like u said) and thats my goddaughters birthday. and im not sure about the weekend after next. not sure if i will have those days off. its not that hard to do man.. do you have any tools. all you really need that is special is that deep 32mm, and a pry bar. but i let you know if i can give you a hand. but you should give it a try your self

·
Registered
434 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts