SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am finally looking for a new "project" car, and am considering a 93-94 Classic. I am a college student, and I want something reliable, but able to transform into a weekend racer pretty easily. Nothing hardcore, maybe just some driver education events and such. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Does the classic make a good choice? It is going to be strange after years of driving Merkur Xr4ti's with rear whell drive and a big turbo, but I think I am due for a change. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a nice 93-94 Classice with low milage in good mechanical shape, feel free to let me know:).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is quite a story, and Matt seems like he was a great person......That definately is a testament to road racing-- I always love being the underdog :)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I think most of the classic owners are part time road racers so IMHO its a good choice. I love my 93 classic, tho its an automatic. The auto isnt bad but nto as fun as a 5 speed. Going to do some work to the car this summer hopefully. Prokits, agx, bushings, swaybar, intake, stb, headers. Now if I will just get a job.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Bowlcut- ever consider a higher stall torque convertor? Dunno if anyone makes them for our cars, but Yank Converters does a lot of custom ones so you may want to bother me to get their phone number off the sticker on the side of my computer at home (at work for the rest of the day/night today)

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Im not that serious in raceing my car. Just going to make it a bit funner. If the tranny is the same as the G20 there is other conserns I have. From what I have read the problem is the clutchs falling apart and cloging the tranny.

But as an Auto goes its pretty good. Launchs are a bit slow but as we all know the power range isnt until past 3000 rpm. But only 4 gears means I usualy hold gears longer than a 5 speed which at times is better. And with the power setting it will hold a gear at WOT till the lower than normal 7250 red line. Pulls hard all the way there. With me pushing it through the gears I think I can get a bit better on speed. But I dont really do that anymore. No street racing for me anymore. I keep it under the speed limit most of the time.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
But consering the years I wouldnt go to 91-92 just because of my tastes. I like the looks of the 93-94 but I would go with the 93. If Im correct I think they changed the intake on the 94 to the low port(high mounted throtle body). Only draw back to the 93 is the air bag which can be anyoing if your wanting a racing steering wheel. But I love the leather wheel that came stock. And IMHO the material in the 93 is nicer than the 91-92 Just giving you some perspectives.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL Yea I know its not the worse thing out there but I grew up on a 5 speed so this auto is anyoing at time. Only time I kinda like it is in traffic and leasurly driving. I can now pack my car full of people and not worry about how close to the steering wheel I am cause I dont need to push the clutch in. Being tall that can be anyoing. Shes still fun cause she does shift in a timely manner. Going through the twistys is fun cause I can keep both hands on the steering wheel and if I give it enough gas she shifts where I want her to. Only problem with that is that I end up going too fast :)

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
If you want to get the classic, get the 91-93. The 94s have a different intake manifold. It made the car a bit less peppy.
UR 4-Pulleys, Volk TE-37/Potenza RE-71 205/50ZR15.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts