SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much(on avaerage) does it cost to upgrade to a Turbo set-up? I figure that I'll have to replace the clutch, parts of the drivetrain(e.g.transmission), the exhaust(quicker spool up-I don't know if the DET's have "lag")etc., etc. Should I get the block blueprinted or just get a new engine specifically for the turbo? My car right now is a bone stock 93 Classic...What are your opinions? Thanks for all your input!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was quoted a price on a Turbo set-up with the intercooler, larger downpipe, upgraded ECU and all the odds and ends for 4400$(I didn't ask what the install rate was)...I sthis a good price for all new parts? The last Turbo I was involved with was a 1987 Grand National(a friend's car), so I have no clue what things go for nowadays....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like you got a quote for the F-max kit. That sounds about right. Real good kit too. I've been told that before you go turbo, make sure your motor can take the load. Do a leak down, compression test to see the condition. If everything is all good and money is right there with no problem, then by all means go for it. Turbo that mofo!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a leak-down performed before I purchased this car, and cylinder #3 is running about 10 psi lower than the others....Which sounds like I might want to have the motor rebuilt before I do any forced induction applications...

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you do plan to do the rebuild the motor...i suggest building it to go turbo. Lower comp. pistons (8.5:1), shot peen rods for extra strength, head gasket and the usual rebuild. Plus if you got the money, cryo-treat that tranny. It is said that the tranny can only last 200hp before it deteriorates. Of course there are exceptions (Ryan B., Louis Anaya and such) but it is jus added security. And las but not least, once you the got the motor together, make sure u got the right amount of fuel for your application. If not, it would be a shame to blow your newly rebuilt motor for a few seconds of lean boosting/detonating. Aright I hope this helps. But don't take my word for it. Do your research. Knowledge is power. So make sure you give it time before you go boostin.

Peace!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Cruz, thanks for the reply! I've already done mucho research on this subject, because my brother runs Turbo and NOS in his 96 SE-R(he doesn't live here though, bummer!), and I know I'm up against investing $ to get this project up and running. Howver, first things first(check out the OFF Topic forum)...Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts