SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
egg-less
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running E Prepared in autox. When the VE swap is done, will I still be legal for EP (good), or will I go to E Mod (bad)? I would get KILLED in E Mod by a nice tube-frame (light) Porsche 914/6 with open exhaust and 10 inch slicks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Not too sure, but I think you'd want to go Street Mod if you swap a VE. Is there anything on your car that kicks you out of SM?

I can check my rulebook tonight for the definitive answer.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, Scarpa. I have most of the interior gutted to put me in EP. I do have access to interior panels cheap, maybe even free! (*cough* Aaron *cough*).

I, too, was thinking about going to SM. I guess I could cut the interior panels to fit around the rollbar. Fitting the rear seat shouldn't be too much of an issue; no one would be able to sit there, but at least it would be there. Who can sit in the back seat of an NX anyway? :cool:

·
Registered
504 Posts
aknapp said:
Thanx, Scarpa. I have most of the interior gutted to put me in EP. I do have access to interior panels cheap, maybe even free! (*cough* Aaron *cough*).

I, too, was thinking about going to SM. I guess I could cut the interior panels to fit around the rollbar. Fitting the rear seat shouldn't be too much of an issue; no one would be able to sit there, but at least it would be there. Who can sit in the back seat of an NX anyway? :cool:
In one of SCCA's great ironies, the back seat isn't required in SM. Everything else is, though.

FWIW, Bobby's car isn't a 914-6... it's got the 4-banger putting down around 140 whp. :eek: And I think you would be in DM, not EM, but don't quote me on that.

Your good car looked good out there yesterday... the inside rear only lifted about 2 inches at its max... a goal I hope to replicate without your extensive cage... very fast! What time did you get down to?

Andy

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
maxQ said:
And I think you would be in DM, not EM, but don't quote me on that.

It would be E. The limit for D is 1.6 liters.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maxQ said:
In one of SCCA's great ironies, the back seat isn't required in SM. Everything else is, though.

FWIW, Bobby's car isn't a 914-6... it's got the 4-banger putting down around 140 whp. :eek: And I think you would be in DM, not EM, but don't quote me on that.

Your good car looked good out there yesterday... the inside rear only lifted about 2 inches at its max... a goal I hope to replicate without your extensive cage... very fast! What time did you get down to?

Andy
Huh, not a 914-6...my memory must be lookin' like swiss cheese.

Thanx, Andy...I've given up on trying to keep the inside rear on the ground in hard corners.

I got down to 63.6 on my 3rd run. I know I was capable of a 62.x on the 4th, but the back end was a little too squirrelly. I think the car was probably capable of a 61.x with the right driver (not me - yet).

I realized that I've been taking the slalolms waaaay too slow with the Hoosiers. That's a big reason I knocked 2 seconds from run 1 to run 3.

I liked the turn-around at the far end and the almost straight run out of it. I just missed the hitting the rev-limiter in 2nd gear. With the soon-to-be-installed VE, me thinks I woulda hit 3rd no problem...I can't wait! :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ahh that's a bummer that you've already gutted the interior. A motor swap definitely knocks you out of Prepared also.

I thought the rule for SM was everything behind and including the back seat could be removed.. so you'd only have to find door panels and a dash really. At least the M3's in our region have bare metal in the back.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
Scarpa said:
I thought the rule for SM was everything behind and including the back seat could be removed.. so you'd only have to find door panels and a dash really. At least the M3's in our region have bare metal in the back.
You can remove the rear seats and rear seat belts but that's it... you can't remove any sound deadening, the panels in the trunk must stay, etc. It seems to be a common misconception as I've noticed a couple local Honda Civics with sound deadening and panels removed and they claim it's legal because they're hatches. :rolleyes:

I'm told there was a '95 blue M3 at the recent SD Nat Tour that had some rear panels removed but by the Pro it had been fixed. Perhaps this one is from your region. I'd be surprised if the Reitmeier or Sias M3's aren't in compliance.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts