SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I do it? I am getting a POP charger and figure that I ought to make sure everything is gunk free when I put it on.

You guys will have to forgive my ignorance: The intake manifold is the thing just behind the valve cover, that looks like a metal bottle on its side, that the airbox and MAF connect to, right? I have read that some guys just spray carb cleaner in there and that some say this is BAD and that you need to take the whole damn thing off and clean it.

Any help to a newbie appreciated.

·
Registered
450 Posts
No you don't have to take it off. We will have to disconnect the intake hose from the throttle body. Just move it to the side, It will move just enough. Then press the accelerator pedal to the floor with a broom stick or an umbrella like I did. Use the seat to support it. Then get "throttle body cleaner" not "Carb Cleaner" and spray around the plate. Use a flashlight and look down into the manifold, if it looks dirty spray that too. I used those sponge paint brushes and an old tooth brush to scrub and dry up the mess made. Then just hook it back up and Zoom Zoom, You my find that your idle is screwed up but it should smooth out in a few days.

That is it! CAKE!

------------------
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horus -

I read the same procedure on SER.net. The trouble is, I also read there that the gunk from the intake ends up in the engine and can cause damage all the way through to the exhaust. Anybody know one way or the other?

Thanks for any/all help.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
I didnt actually spray into the collector/Tb. I sprayed a paper towel and wiped the inside. But mine wasn't that dirty at all. I kept doing that until the towels came out clean. Obviously dont leave any paper in there either. This avoids the issue of running all that funk htrough the engine. They say it can land on the pistons , and F up the cat too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry I didn't make it clear, but yes DON'T run the gunk through the engine! Use the sponge applicators or the paper towels to get it all out. The sponges are good because you can spray cleaner right on them and go swabbing around. Paper towels work good too especially those "shop towels". You can also let it air dry completely after you do your thing with the towels and such but it should be clean at that point.

------------------
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
513 Posts
I used a toothbrush on a stick....I just kept spraying the brush and inside the Throttle body. I kept scrubbing and rinsing off the brush until it was clean after a scrub. Then I let it air out for a bit. Most Throttle body cleaner does say that it is safe for Oxygen sensors and cats. My idle hesitated a bit a first startup, but then went right back to normal. Hope that helps.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
404 Posts
Helpfull info, I was thinking of cleaning it but didn't know were to start>>

------------------
92'xe/w-primera swap
Soon to be NOS fed

G

·
Well I did it two ways. First I bought just the throttle body cleaner and cleaned out the t/b with the engine off and a toothbrush.
Then I bought the Gunk stuff and used that with the engine on. The trick is to take off the vacuum hose on top of the intake hose and spray it in there. Have the ol' lady rev up the rpms to 3-4 grand while you do it.
I had no problems at all. The engine will drop in rpms as you spray the stuff in.
My baby is running just fine!! 130,000 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What Gunk stuff?

Thanks for all your help, y'all...

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Then get "throttle body cleaner" not "Carb Cleaner" and spray around the plate. Use a flashlight and </font>
Actually there is no difference, just price. If you don't believe me read the labels.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Man, dont be lazy, take it off and give it a real good clean. It takes maybe an hour, tops.

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Man, dont be lazy, take it off and give it a real good clean. It takes maybe an hour, tops.

------------------

Kris94G20™
"clears and stickers, the best bang for your buck"
The Beginning.

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Man, dont be lazy, take it off and give it a real good clean.</font>
Must remember that it's a LOT more difficult to remove the TB on a high port than on a low port.

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

G

·
the "Gunk" stuff is the actual name of the product. It should say throttle/carb cleaner
on the can with a lil' red stick taped to the can. Just read the back label. Some say not to use it with engine on while others say its ok. The ones that say its ok dont have some crazy chemical in it. Methanyl or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts