SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canyon_Boogie
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been attempting to locate my strange hesitation issue. I searched around and there was a possibilty of the aac valve being dirty & or clogged. I removed it and cleaned it out. The car does drive smoother but didnt cure my hesitation. Heres the pics and general info for you feast your eyes on.

Heres the location of the AAC Valve itself (just left of the oil filter). Its held on with 4 bolts.

I dont have a/c in my car so removing and installing the valve was not a major issue at all. Takes about 5 min tops with no a/c lines in your way. With the a/c lines in it will be a PITA. 10mm for all 4 bolts.

Heres the valve removed.

Heres the area to clean, mine didnt look to bad.. You wanto make sure and remove the sensor from the body (2 screws) before cleaning it out. I used carb cleaner and Q-tips.

And here she is all minty fresh.

I added a very thin coat of gasket maker to it before installing again. You will find the top 2 and bottom left bolts area very easy to put back in. The bottom right bolt is in a funny spot and will require you use both hands to screw it in. I attempted with one hand and the bolt fell. It didnt hit the ground and I couldnt locate it until I backed out my driveway and heard it fall out. If I missed anything please chime in. -Adam

·
Old Kid driving....
722 Posts
Nice writeup on the AAC... A little off topic but aren't you a little worried about using a Fram oil filter? They usually don't have the greatest reputation of being dependable for the SR motors when it comes to oil filtration. Just curious.:)

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
nice pics knuckles--

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
~KnuckleDuster~ said:
You will find the top 2 and bottom left bolts area very easy to put back in. The bottom right bolt is in a funny spot and will require you use both hands to screw it in. -Adam
That's because you still have p/s, correct? ;) I did this same thing the other day and didn't really clear up my idling issue. I mean, I douched the damn thing. But, nice write up!

·
Deviled Egg!
6,321 Posts
so fresh and so clean! did it make a difference?

keep in mind, some AAC's have 3 bolts... ;)

23781-2J220 AAC87-54 = 3 Bolts (JDM Lowport/Auto) :rolleyes:
23781-53J10 AAC87-16 = 4 Bolts

For your lowport it will be located on top of the IM on the passenger side...

·
Canyon_Boogie
6,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XxToKeSxX said:
so fresh and so clean! did it make a difference?

keep in mind, some AAC's have 3 bolts... ;)

23781-2J220 AAC87-54 = 3 Bolts (JDM Lowport/Auto) :rolleyes:
23781-53J10 AAC87-16 = 4 Bolts

For your lowport it will be located on top of the IM on the passenger side...
It ran a little better but nothing major. The motor only has 112k so I didnt expect it to be to dirty in there.

·
Gently Making Enemies
278 Posts
i too recently did this during my last oil change since it was even easier to get to. i have been having some cold startup issues and hesitation as well. this didnt really help me with those problems either, but it does seem to run smoother. with the car idling when i disconnect the aac sensor it dosent change, but should. does this mean that it is bad? try that on yours to see if it is working. i also have taken of the air regulator underneath the intake mani, cleaned it up, but that didnt help much either...

·
Empire-CAT Machinery Tech
760 Posts
it looks easy but since i have ps, and a/c, its a b*tch to get into it...

·
Empire-CAT Machinery Tech
760 Posts
ok today i cleaned out my aac valve.. but i noticed that my jdm aac valve is differnt than my usdm aac valve it has a spring in it.. here are some pics.. whats the difference between the two.. should i stick with my jdm one or my old usdm one... the one im using is the cleaned out jdm one..

THIS IS MY CLEANED OUT JDM ONE

THIS IS MY OLD USDM ONE

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
Put 12v to the main solenoid and watch that it moves the plunger ok
how do you hook that up to a 12v signal outside the car? Im no electrical guru here so I havent got a clue.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You want the USDM one. Early model USDM AAC valves looked just like the JDM one you posted.

Sometime after '93 (based on my experience) the additional spring was added to improve the valve. Your second pic is the improved later model valve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts