SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nx has been a little hesitant, and i want to clean the throttle/choke assembly. whats the best/safest cleaner for this type of job?
Also, is the fuel/air mixture computer controlled? cuz it just seems that might be out of whack, if cleaning the throttle doesn't work that would be my guess.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Use normal carb cleaner for the TB.

A/F ratio hmmm... the computer set's that ratio so if it changes then the engine is not physically getting the fuel and/or air the computer is requesting/seeing. That's just some reasoning that probably won't help you at all though :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Cleaning the TB is easy. Remove the intake hose from the TB. Then use something to hold down the gas pedal so the throttle plate stays open. Then using Carb cleaner and a tooth brush, clean the inside of the TB. Pay close attention to the two small hole at the bottom of the TB,get those as clean as possible,as well as the edge and face of the throttle plate. When you're finished,use a rag to wipe off excessive residue from the cleaning process. After that, put everything back together and start your motor. It might hesitate at first,but it should start after a couple of tries. Let your motor run for about a minute or so to burn off all of the Carb cleaner and you're set.

Now as far as the A/F ratio is concerned,if there is a problem,it might be sensor related. The ECU controls the A/F ratio based on sensor inputs. The O2 sensor might be bad,MAF might need to be reground,etc. Clean your TB first, and then see if you still have a problem.

G

·
I got my carb/throttle body cleaner from walmart(not sure who makes it?) It is in a gold can with a neet little hose attached to it. The hose will not come off and fly into your motor. It worked very good for me.
Marc

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That's a good point. The trick that I find very effective,no matter what brand of Carb cleaner you use,is to glue the hose to the spray cap. That way you won't have to worry about the hose comming off.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I think you can do a much better job of cleaning everything if you take the throttlebody right off.

It's a PITA, but it's the only way you can get it really, really clean.

Be sure to block the coolant lines to the TB, or it will drain the rad really quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts