SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not a good sound but I'm not sure if it's a lifter or a valve... I'm supposed to go to Vancouver this weekend for a car show and was wondering if I should take the chance. The car still drives well and pulls hard but that damn clicking is kind of annoying. The car only has 53K on it and I don't attribute it to the running of NOS because I've only used it for like 2 bottles and never had above 600psi running so basically like it doesn't even work.(need a bottle warmer)
Does the DE have adjustable valves or is it because of the Hydraulic lifters that they can't be adjusted?

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
One thing you might wanna check...Fuel Injectors..They make a fairly loud clicking noise and for some reason as the milage piled up it became a little bit more noticable.

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (stock)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:
One thing you might wanna check...Fuel Injectors..They make a fairly loud clicking noise and for some reason as the milage piled up it became a little bit more noticable.

</font>
They shouldn't be dirty as I use NOS injector cleaner every 3000 miles. But I'll pull em and see what they look like.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by niska:
HLA's cannot be adjusted. Most SR20's have a little bit of click to them anyways. If it's really bad, or just came on, than I would check it out. Also, if it sounds out of ordinary.</font>
It was really weird. It just started out of the blue.

Any idea on what replacing these would run me or would just getting a whole new engine be a better option. I know someone who can get me a brand new DE block for $700.

·
Registered
858 Posts
if you have an exhaust leak around the header/manifold, it sounds just like a ticking lifter. use a stethoscope for 10 bucks or make one with an alum. a/c line or fuel line attached to a rubber fuel line thenpoint the metal rod to the header while the rubber hose is next to your ear and you could hear exactly where it's coming from(noise). if it's a lifter then that means yourlifter has air in it and you'll have to bleed the lifter .easy to bleed but the cam has to come off first.find the noise first.

·
egg-less
348 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soopastank:

</font>
Mine clicks fairly loudly too, and, as you said, has gotten louder over time. Again, as with sqeezinse, it still pulls hard.

Question: How do test a fuel injector to see if it's bad? A DIY task or do you have to have a specialty shop test it?

BTW, I have a 92 NX.

Thanx in advance for any help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might try to do a motor flush, I do it once or twice a year in this manner:
1) Drain old oil and install new oil filter.
2) fill with new oil and one bottle of motor flush
3) allow engine to idle for 5 minutes, do not drive car
4) drain oil/flush, fill with new oil and again install another new oil filter.

I know, I know, it may be overkill. The last car I owned (purchased new) was a '91 Civic DX (ick), ran it to 200k miles. I did the above procedure once or twice a year, and changed the oil at 3K religiously. At the last valve job my mechanic said the cylinder head looked brand new on the inside. True story. I wore out the trans twice and replaced the CV's twice, yet the engine stayed smooth and reliable. You can do what works for you. After my first serious oil change on the SE-R (purchased used) I noticed a big change in the smoothness of the idle and acceleration.

It may be the cheapest way to rule out trouble with the hydraulic lifters. They might be clogged somehow even though it only has 53k miles on it. BTW, do you use a oil additive? I never have, never needed it.

G

·
0 Posts
HLA's cannot be adjusted. Most SR20's have a little bit of click to them anyways. If it's really bad, or just came on, than I would check it out. Also, if it sounds out of ordinary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts