SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I did it in 3 days (we took our time). It's not really hard at all. Just time consuming. If you have a Hayne's or Chilton or even better the FSM, you'll be fine. Just remember to get your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop and take your time. I got in a hurry putting the fly wheel on and over torque a flybolt and we had to tap it out. We used 4 jacks stands and the and the jack (2 to hold the car...2 on the engine and tranny and the jack to raise and lower it)YOu won't need any seals or gaskets. I install the ACT kit also. all I can say about that kit is CHHHHIIIIIRRRPPP!!!!

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits in closet

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone know how had It is to do a clutch job on the ground, with just jack stands... a friend said its a Pain in the A$$.. has anyone did one, and do I need any seals or gaskets?

I have my ACT clutch to install still..

Thanks..

G

·
0 Posts
I does not take 3 days
(maybe for some monkeys
) When we did mine it took maybe 3 hours. This was with someone that had done a number of them before though. We only use 2 jackstands. The worst part is taking out the tranny and puting it back in. For this I would lay on your back under the car with you feet facing the back of the car and just bench press it. It is not thet bad. Good luck!

------------------
MarC
96 w/ no turbo
AIM SER96MarC

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well we more or less did it at bens. not that bad if you are a hoss of a guy. the mike jez trick of leaving the axles in is ok makes it kinda akward. jack it up put jack stands on the rocker panals. put it up HIGH. get a jack under the tranny unbolt the mount and tranny(ok skipping tons of stuff here maybe more people with help with that stuff). then slide the tranny sideways it should come off. i still like our method. me lay underneight it and bench press it off. but me be a big old boy
. then its only a few bolts to remove the PP. remember to retorque to spec and fly wheel to if you are doing that but i doubt it. if you are you gota put a breaker bar on the front crank pully or you will just end up spinning the engine. putting it back up there is easier with me bench pressing the tranny IMHO. the jack was just akward. its not as easy as doing it on a RWD car in the air but its not bad. certinaly do able. i would say plan a weekend to be on the safe side. start pulling stuff off and out of the way friday night. pull tranny and clutch saturday and put it back in place, then put the rest of the stuff on sunday and test. just to give you plenty of time. but if you have done it before and/or got a good knowledge of such things it wouldnt take more than an afternoon. just get a hanes/chiltons/FSM it helps

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
on average it will take you 5-6 hours constant work, poking around in the cold to do it. we have mechanics that can do it in about an hour and a half at work. makes me sick

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
i still like our method. me lay underneight it and bench press it off. but me be a big old boy
</font>
uhh...what if i don't have a you to do it?

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
You just have to suck it up and do it. In my opinion its your only chioce if you are on the ground.

------------------
MarC
96 w/ no turbo
AIM SER96MarC

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
LOL well considering i have really only done it once i would be more than happy
. actualy bet if you asked really nicely eric might be able to help if you come up to nashville sometime. we could orginze another little geekout and that way have a heated garage and lift if eric asks nicely like he usualy does

it seems like a really hard job its really not i dont think. just with something like a hanes or FSM it makes it much easier and seem not as hard. you really dont have to be all that burly to put it up with your hands, eric got under there and hes a little boy
. nah just kidding. the tranny weights maybe 50 to 75 lbs. so nothing worse than a big bag of dog food. read up on it on se-r.net i think they have how to do it, read read and read. then get a friend or two to help hand tools and get dirty.

G

·
0 Posts
could i just borrow a spare bowlcut sometime.. i'm flat out.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
hehehehe ask ben, having a bowlcut isnt all its cracked up to be. he had one for a weekend. usualy all it takes is a moments notice(cause that way we cant be prepared to do it right ben) change your mind a few times(am i listing this right ben
) feed and house the bowlcut. just like a little dog give it food and a warm place to sleep and it wont go away

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Last time we did my racer we had the gearbox out in 45 mins!! I did one last week that took 2 hrs to get out!! it just depends. If you have an FSM, the tools and the time it's not that bad of a job.

Blair
4 times is too many!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts