SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having intermittant problems with my clutch pedal sticking on the floor. It only sticks for a second or so when it happens.

Typically, this will happen in the morning when the car is cold. It also happens when the car is warm and I am shifting at a high RPM.

I replaced my clutch, plate and throwout bearing about 500 miles ago. The problems started after that.

I'd call myself "mechanically challenged" so I would appreciate as much detail as possible in your responses.

Also, I notice that when I shift from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd (less noticable) that the car tends to lurch a bit as I let out the clutch. I suspect that this is more my technique than anything, but could it be related to the above.

TIA
Keith

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I thought there was something wrong with my clutch for a while. Turned out to be my floormat getting in the way slightly.
When you feel it happening, reach down and yank the floormat away from the pedals and see if that don't fix it.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
858 Posts
floor mat, yup! yank it towards the seat.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Damn! I thought I was the only one who encountered that. Make sure the hole in your floor mat is on the little tab by the seat.
I don't feel so bad now.

------------------
The dirty rain falls in funky town
95ser W/s3,place race CAI,header,catback,JWT ECU,short throw,17" shoguns,kyb,pro lines,strut tower, yadda,yadda...

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
My samurai had the same problem. was both clutch cable and floormat both. cable streched and binding then the peddal stuck to the mat...wish i had the little stud for the floormat. mine is sliding all over the place.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant to tell you guys in my original post that I pulled the floor mat all the way out the first week. Sorry. So, it's not the floormat.

I bought a new clutch cable when I bought all the clutch parts. After about five minutes of contortionism (head under the dash, butt on the seat backwards, feet out the sunroof, hands twisted into positions I thought I would never get out of) I decided to leave the old cable in place. Looks as if I need to go back in and change it.

Question on that: the clutch cable I got from Courtesy is what I would call an assembly rather than just the cable (e.g., cable, cable cover, firewall boot, etc.). The instructions for replacing the cable on SE-R.net make it sound like it's just the cable not the whole assembly. Do I still follow those instructions, removing the entire clutch cable assembly and replacing with my new one? Or, do I somehow pull just the cable itself and replace it the cable out of my new assembly (stop laughing, I told you I mechanically challenged).

TIA
Keith

·
Registered
466 Posts
I almost forgot about the floor mat part. I think we were on the way home from TX when Ben called me about his clutch feeling funny.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Oregon Classic:

Question on that: the clutch cable I got from Courtesy is what I would call an assembly rather than just the cable (e.g., cable, cable cover, firewall boot, etc.). The instructions for replacing the cable on SE-R.net make it sound like it's just the cable not the whole assembly. Do I still follow those instructions, removing the entire clutch cable assembly and replacing with my new one? Or, do I somehow pull just the cable itself and replace it the cable out of my new assembly (stop laughing, I told you I mechanically challenged).

TIA
Keith
</font>

That is considered the "clutch cable" it is a whole assembly, not just pieces.
It is a PITA for some and easy for others to get the cable into place. You already know the position to get into... Just undo the tranny side first and pull the cable out of it's holder on the tranny and right by the fuel filter, give the cable slack and it will help.
it is a PITA. Pay a $tealership if you don't have the patience.

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
222 Posts
As for the lurch you feel from 1st to 2nd, sounds like your technique. Just try getting off the pedal slower than you are now, dont just let it out in one quick release, but more of a controlled release, almost like you do going from neutral to first, but not as slow.

Jason

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike sr20de:
Damn! I thought I was the only one who encountered that. Make sure the hole in your floor mat is on the little tab by the seat.
I don't feel so bad now.

</font>
happened to me too!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed the clutch cable. That fixed it!

Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts