SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i bought my car the clutch pedal has been heavy. Its hard to get to the floor, but it works fine and it comes right back up every time. Even though its hard to the floor, there is no hesitation in the travel from the floor back up to my foot or vice versa. My friend(nismoser) just had a new clutch put in his se-r and the pedal travel feels like its about half of what mine is. Does it sound like i need a new clutch?? or is it the cable possibly?? The car has 66k on it with the original clutch as far as i know. Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoNx2000:
Since i bought my car the clutch pedal has been heavy. Its hard to get to the floor, but it works fine and it comes right back up every time. Even though its hard to the floor, there is no hesitation in the travel from the floor back up to my foot or vice versa. My friend(nismoser) just had a new clutch put in his se-r and the pedal travel feels like its about half of what mine is. Does it sound like i need a new clutch?? or is it the cable possibly?? The car has 66k on it with the original clutch as far as i know. Thanks in advance for your help.

</font>
It is most likely the clutch cable. When I bought my NX a few months ago, the clutch pedal was like really stiff. The clutch was [email protected] miles, but it showed no signs of wear, tear, or abuse. So I replaced the cable first, and the pedal became soft.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it hard to replace the clutch cable or was it fairly simple?? would i need to put the car on a lift?? any info would be helpful...thanks in advance.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
was it hard to replace the clutch cable or was it fairly simple?? would i need to put the car on a lift?? any info would be helpful...thanks in advance.

</font>
It was somewhat simple. I think you'll have more trouble putting the new clutch cable in than taking the old one out. You won't need to put the car on a lift. In fact, you don't even need to do anything to the car other than having the hood open and removing some parts. Here's a link to the instructions. You'll understand it better once you actually take a look at your car.

http://www.se-r.net/transaxle_clutch/change_clutch_cable.html

Hope that helps.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

G

·

</font>
Looks like Nissan designed clutch cables for about 9 years use. My 92 with 100k broke today, it had the saame symptons as yours. Nissan wants $50. for one so I ordered from NAPA $30. and one day delivery. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone else think its the clutch cable and not the clutch itself?? It would be great if it were just the cable...thanks again...

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
does anyone else think its the clutch cable and not the clutch itself?? It would be great if it were just the cable...thanks again...

</font>
Well gee... I don't know... Why don't you buy a new clutch cable first, replace the old clutch cable and see what that does. Simple troubleshooting, man. You should try it. You can solve a lot of problems on your own that way.

I don't see how it could be the clutch, though, unless the car has some aftermarket clutch or something.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/drivetrain_tips.html#Troubleshooting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts