SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a couple quick questions... Ok got my car with 52k and now has 62k in a year but was wondering my clutch pedal seems to be somewhat higher off the floor to get the car going, my friend says my clutch is starting to go im thinking no way it still grabs hard but hmm... also HOW THE HELL do you take off the shift knob on a 97 SE-R :D :D :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
the cable may have stretched also...as far as the shift knob, I know in my 95 it's just threaded on.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you don't want to mess up the knob, push the shift boot as far down as you can, then hit the shaft just under the knob with a torch, propane or map works better. Don't over heat it or it will catch the glue on fire no need to explain how I know that. The glue will soften and you should be able to twist the knob off. Worked for me.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
take the shift lever off the car w/ knob attatched. Wrap a towel around the knob. With an extra car, back over the knob with a tire. Take a bar or something and insert it into the end of the shift lever and turn it and the knob should break loose. It's "lock-tite'd" on...

·
Captain Slow
149 Posts
You can actually get away with using a very long clamping type tool to take off the shift knob. I actually used the inside edge of a hedge trimmer (Not the blade, but the part where the handles meet). Vise grips don't work very well because they don't give you enough leverage. Anything will work as long as you wrap an old towel around the knob to protect it.

It's either that or heat up the glue like focus said.

Oh, and about the clutch cable bit: The clutch will catch higher if your clutch is starting to wear or if the cable is stretching. Just adjust the cable to bring it back down if you don't feel noticable amounts of slippage. If you do or if you run out of clutch cable to adjust, you're going to have to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch is not slipping just not at the floor like it use to be its about half to 3/4 from the floor before it kicks in hmm but about the shift knob oh boy I swear the sucker is welded or something :mad:

reverm said:
Oh, and about the clutch cable bit: The clutch will catch higher if your clutch is starting to wear or if the cable is stretching. Just adjust the cable to bring it back down if you don't feel noticable amounts of slippage. If you do or if you run out of clutch cable to adjust, you're going to have to replace the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts