SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im currently planning a turbo install. I need a clutch because the one i have now needs to be replaced. I want to replace it with a performance clutch that can withstand a turbo and/or improves a turbos performance. Any suggestions

·
Registered
59 Posts
mademafiaman said:
Im currently planning a turbo install. I need a clutch because the one i have now needs to be replaced. I want to replace it with a performance clutch that can withstand a turbo and/or improves a turbos performance.
is this a statement or were you planning on asking a question?
anyways, i have a act heavyduty pp and street disc

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
Suggestion is Clutchnet, they are good in our cars. I will also add that there is a Groupbuy for the clutches and flywheels in the group buy section. There is a lot of information in the GB thread. you only want a sprung hub. other companys of interest are SPEC and ACT. Search the forum about ACT disc splines, they are weak. Also ACT only has one disc to use. SPEC actually looks like a good company dispite a bad accident within the forum. you may find the pics of the destroyed tranny. The only problem i see with SPEC is that they have ratings assosiated with different Stage setups. The problem is that this rating is too high because it is a max rating for the setup. what you need is a recomended range for the setup. Also SPEC sells some of its kits with a wimpy PP(10% over stock). this is not good for turbo cars. if you decided to go with SPEC make sure you get the MAX PP(rated at 40% over stock). Clutchmasters has gotten a lot of bad reviews from members. For the final note make sure that you search before posting a thread. I will say that there is not a lot of solid info on clutches in the forum. But there is plenty of info on turbo's so if you have questions for your install make sure that you search. nuf said.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I run a Clutch Specialties Stage 2 clutch in my car and its a great clutch not one complaint about it. It holds all the power with no problems and I have abused with atleast 30 runs down the track and not one problem yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the difference between clutchnets solid hub or sprung hub? which is better and why? What is these Kevlar-Kevlar,Copper-Copper and Fiber Carbon? and which is the best?

·
Registered
39 Posts
mademafiaman said:
What is the difference between clutchnets solid hub or sprung hub? which is better and why? What is these Kevlar-Kevlar,Copper-Copper and Fiber Carbon? and which is the best?
I would guess that the solid hub is for a faster engagement, but very hard on the tranny. While the sprung hub has a little "give" in it to cushion the tranny from the shock of engaging the clutch.
I know that on the Maxima forums quite a few people have had problems with the ACT sprung hub coming apart and screwing up the tranny and flywheel, which is why I stay away from ACT myself.

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
definatly stay away from ACT. They have problems with the center spline being too weak. For your questions, SOLO2 has the answer for the hub. The sprung hub provides cushion when the clutch is engaging. AN SR will almost never need a solid hub. The trannys are too weak and a sprung hub will engage much smoother. As for your question about the material for the clutches you may want to check out the thread on clutchnet clutches, http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=63338, there is a lot of info on the discs and applications. There is no BEST disc. You need to be specific to your power goals. As a general rule the more power you want the clutch to handle then the more difficult it will be to drive on the street, ie Streetable. You want to match your clutch setup with your power goal to get the most streetable clutch that will hold your power. If you need help choosing a setup just post in the GB thread, and i can help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts